• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driveline Whirr/Whine [‘96 Ranger 2.3l 4cyl 2wd 5 speed 170k]

borori

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
RPM specific noise. No tachometer so we’ll go based off of gear and speed. Occurs when decelerating in:
  • 2nd gear at 15mph
  • 3rd gear at 27mph
  • 4th gear at 47mph
Purchased in March 2021. Chronological list of work done:
  • Changed oil and filter
  • New tires all around
  • Lubed chassis
  • New timing belt and front seal
  • New fuel pump and filter
  • Changed differential fluid
  • Changed transmission fluid
  • New sparks, wires, and coils
  • New ujoints, lubed slip yoke
Note, I changed ujoints myself, seemed well balanced, no shake or noise up to 85mph.

The Issue:

As previously mentioned, there’s this whirr in the driveline. I’m too in my head about this and can’t tell if it’s the diff or if it’s just the engine braking / transmission braking. Does not happen when clutch is disengaged, turning corners doesn't exasperate it, and only happens at specific rpms.

Great truck, engine clean and purrs like a kitten. Clutch is going on 4 years old.

In first or second gear, between 5-10mph, truck bucks and hesitates some, almost feels mechanical like it’s in the driveline somewhere? May also be dirty fuel injectors so not too worried about this.

When I changed the diff fluid it was black. Plug had minimal metal shavings, just 1mm of very fine metal. I’ve checked this after another 3k miles and it’s clean still. NO CHIPS or cracks or uneven wear to the eye.

About a month later I got the wise idea to change ujoints. It was hell. Took 4 days. Got it back in lubed the slip yoke and the bucking stopped mostly. Was rusted firm to the diff yoke, took a bit to smack it loose.

Got it back together, hit 85mph on the highway, everything works great. Typical road noise, no shake or shimmy and life is pie.

Now 2 months later, I can’t tell if this whirr has always been there or not. Could be :
  • Road Noise
  • Wheel Bearing (?)
  • Diff Bearings or
  • Diff Loose Preload
  • Ring and Pinion worn
  • Effed ujoint
Only happens under specific conditions:
  • Deceleration
  • Clutch engaged
  • At specific RPM
I have an appointment for the 20th of Sept to get it looked at.

What am I missing here? I’d hate to take it in and be laughed out bc it’s just road noise lol.

Jcooper0531200p

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like it could just be your tranny/engine brake. I have the same truck only a 93 model and you can hear the rpms going down, is that what you're hearing?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals