• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drive shaft or transfer case noise

AndrewL76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
My father-in-law has an 88 Ranger XLT 4x4 5 speed that when he takes off, there’s a knock that you can feel right under your feet. Once it gets going, it stops. It just happens when you’re taking off.
A mechanic told him it was the drive shaft. Could it actually be the transfer case, or more simply, the universal joints?

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is it just one knock, or knocking? When it's in 2WD, 4WD, or both? The rear driveshafts are known to make a single knock/clunk/thump/etc when the slip yoke needs to be lubed. The front driveshaft does not have the same PTFE/Teflon coated splines that the rear shaft does (at least on mine it doesn't), so unless it's the u-joints I doubt it's the front shaft.

AndrewL76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
The sound is a knock-knock-knock...until there’s not as much throttle pushing it to spin. It was when it was in 2wd.
He also told me that the shaft has fallen out before. The transfer case was replaced but I’m not sure if the yoke is worn that goes into the transfer case or what. I mean it still drives and is quiet when it is up to speed, but taking off...it basically is knocking until you’re up to cruising speed and past 1st and 2nd
They told him it was the rear drive shaft. From what I can find...they must be made of gold...prices are crazy

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's probably the u-joints or the the center support bearing (if it's an extended cab), so all you have to do is remove the shaft(s) and take it and new u-joints to a machine shop to have them change them. The last time I had it done it cost me $75.
I would check the u-joints first, engine off, e-brake on, in gear, and just try turning the shaft back and forth while watching each joint to see if there is any play. The rear joint usually goes out first (in my experience). If you have a ball joint press you can probably change them yourself. There are YouTube videos that show you how. If the u-joints appear to be okay it MAY be the slip yoke, but I've never had one that made more than one clunk when taking off from a stop.

AndrewL76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
They said that the drive shaft fell out at some point, and that it had “wallowed around” in the transfer case. That’s why they had replaced the transfer case

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If they replaced the transfer case, they should know what's going on there. Sounds like you should let them deal with it since they've already worked on it.

AndrewL76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
If they replaced the transfer case, they should know what's going on there. Sounds like you should let them deal with it since they've already worked on it.
Know anywhere to find a drive shaft cheap?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
IMHO, before you do that, check the radius arm bushings.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals