• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

drive line questions?????

off_road_junkie21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 lt V6
Transmission
Manual
ok frist off i havent been on in a while so HI EVEYONE!! ok to my questions. I drive a 87 ext cab 4wd.

the problem i have is the ujoints keep spining inside the ears. i have had it fixed once and now its doing it again!! the u joints are really small for one. i put a 8.8 in it out of a new ranger (has the speed sensor) so my question is it will coats me about 120.00 to fix this again!!! (that inculdes all new u joints and carre bearing) what would cause this to keep happing? and what would it take to put a one pice in it?
thanks shaun

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: DE2235E7692E8C: July 5th, 2021

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Because the drive shaft is just plain worn out and the caps are not a press fit anymore.

You can get away with staking the inside of the ears on the drive shaft where the cups sit with a good sharp center punch. This will make the metal raise up and bite into the U joint caps. You can also add some green bearing/lose fitting parts retaining lock tight.