• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Downside of the 2.3l duratec?

turin39789

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
I'm about to pick up a used 06 4 cylinder xlt regular cab with 40k miles. Excited about getting the truck but I'm trying to make sure I do all of my research. So far I've only heard good things about the engine.

What are the downsides? Every engine has a weak point or 8.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I haven't heard much negative about them. All I hear is that they've got a lot more punch than the old iron 2.3 Limas. The old 2.3 (83-97) and 2.5 (98-01, same engine as the 2.3, just stroked) are well known for going 300,000 plus miles. I hope the duratechs are just as good. From what I've heard so far, they seem to be living up to the standard set by the old iron 2.3s.

The only negative I've heard is that they have some goofy ECM programming that holds the RPMs up when you shift. Some people seem to find it annoying.

turin39789

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
I haven't heard much negative about them. All I hear is that they've got a lot more punch than the old iron 2.3 Limas. The old 2.3 (83-97) and 2.5 (98-01, same engine as the 2.3, just stroked) are well known for going 300,000 plus miles. I hope the duratechs are just as good. From what I've heard so far, they seem to be living up to the standard set by the old iron 2.3s.

The only negative I've heard is that they have some goofy ECM programming that holds the RPMs up when you shift. Some people seem to find it annoying.
That's about the same that I've read too. Just thought id see if there is any particular thing to be worried about/ checking regularly. Looks like I'll just do the routine maint and keep an eye on it.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ive seen quite a few 2.3 duratecs over 200K (the focui rack up more mileage than rangers, it seems). they are good motors that dont have any specific problems. they get good mileage and have very respectable power for the displacement. just dont be afraid to wind it up for passing.

turin39789

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
ive seen quite a few 2.3 duratecs over 200K (the focui rack up more mileage than rangers, it seems). they are good motors that dont have any specific problems. they get good mileage and have very respectable power for the displacement. just dont be afraid to wind it up for passing.
Still finding that out, even when driving a little spirited I usually shift before 3k. Was nice to see her move some when I asked for more acceleration than my mpg conserving turtle pace. Gotta get used to that winding up noise though.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
3,000 RPM should be considered cruel and unusual.

peak power doesnt occure until 5,250RPM. even peak torque isnt until 3,750.

these engines really need to sing if they are to have any motivation.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Meh, my truck doesn't mind staying in the low RPM. I rarely go above 3500 RPM if I'm not hotrodding it, heck probably barely even get above 3000 RPM. Granted I used to get into it a lot more, but now I'm a lot nicer to it.

I like this little motor, just wish you could get it in a 4x4 truck.

TayCo 7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if this helps i have a ´02 ranger 2.3 duratec with 33´s and let me tell you the truck keeps on suprising me i love it it has cold air intake and a flowmaster itll cherp the tires in third once in a while

TayCo 7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Meh, my truck doesn't mind staying in the low RPM. I rarely go above 3500 RPM if I'm not hotrodding it, heck probably barely even get above 3000 RPM. Granted I used to get into it a lot more, but now I'm a lot nicer to it.

I like this little motor, just wish you could get it in a 4x4 truck.
yes sir ! my truck runs good in the lows :icon_thumby: nothing bad to say about it exept the thermostat screwed up but i pulled it and runs great

One Sick Puppy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
3,000 RPM should be considered cruel and unusual.

peak power doesnt occure until 5,250RPM. even peak torque isnt until 3,750.

these engines really need to sing if they are to have any motivation.
Wow. I thought I drove like a granny, now I KNOW I drive like a granny. I rarely hit 3000rpm just to shift. When I'm driving I'm always between 1900-2500. I find the noise as higher RPMs rather annoying... maybe I don't know enough about engines, but doesn't driving at higher RPM mean more gas and harder on the engine?

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the engine is designed to turn those kind of RPMs...you wont hurt it by doing so.

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
the engine is designed to turn those kind of RPMs...you wont hurt it by doing so.
Exactly. I shift at 4,500-5,000 rpms on a regular basis; it's the only way to stay in the power band if you really need to get moving. Doesn't hurt a thing...she likes it!

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
Pisses me off sometimes, specially on the freeway

if this helps i have a ´02 ranger 2.3 duratec with 33´s and let me tell you the truck keeps on suprising me i love it it has cold air intake and a flowmaster itll cherp the tires in third once in a while
Is it a full exhaust system or just a muffler, must be pretty amazing to be chirping tires with muffler and CAI. 33" tires and its chirping too teach me the ways :icon_cheers:

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea man this engine at 2500 rpm sounds like 3500-4k with anyother engine. my bud's lima at 3500 sounds like mine at 2.5k rpm.

for awhile wen i first got it i wud short shit cause of this but now i know better

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals