• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dorman intakes rough castings?

deRangerous

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Ext
Transmission
Automatic
I recently bought a '99 4.0 OHV w/ over a quarter million miles on the cheap figuring with the money saved we could get it up to speed maintenance-wise, etc....I get home and start poking around and observe an erratic idle, slightly low vacuum(15in) and a little steam coming off the back of the engine to accompany my 171 & 174 DTC's. Having browsed several forums I was digging into the motor assuming I would find messed up intake gaskets. This engine was so covered in gunk that I couldn't really tell where all the leaks actually were. I realize now I should have finished my exploratory with a compression/leak-down test and a pressure test of the cooling system at a minimum to help identify where all the issues were most likely to be found. I cleaned the MAF, idle control, throttle body and did propane and brake cleaner spray testing without finding my leak so I tore it down figuring it was work that needed done anyway. As I take it apart I saw evidence suggesting a severe overheating was likely as well as JB weld on the intake so I was concerned about possible cracks in the intakes, heads or...? I also found a couple of freeze plugs that were leaking as well as the valve covers looked to be puking oil as well (a helluva mess). I pressure washed the engine and started re-assembly. I didn't like the look of the lower intake manifold so I bought a Dorman unit off ebay. Everything was progressing nicely until I tried to install the coolant temperature sensors on the front of the intake which are trying to strip on me. Was I supposed to take the manifold to be machined before installation? I thought it came ready to go. I really don't want to take the valve covers off to pull the manifold and take it to a shop. What size tap do I need to clean up these shoddy chinese threads and does anyone know where I can buy it? This manifold has some really thin clearances where the injectors are located and the overall machine work is weak compared to the original. You got what you paid for, I guess. That being said, does anybody have any constructive advice for me? Thanks in advance for any help provided!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
It happens a lot with the Chinese parts. Most sensors Ford used have tapered pipe threads. Their size varies, to figure that out you can take your sensor to the store and compare it to a pipe nipple to get the size. Usually 1/2" NPT but could also be a little smaller (3/8) or a little larger (3/4) NPT.

Here's an example of what you need. This is a set. https://www.amazon.com/Drill-America-POUCSNPT5-Piece-Carbon/dp/B01LXOUZNV/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=npt+pipe+tap&qid=1610979496&sr=8-3

Harbor freight has a set also, this cheaper one does not have 3/4 if you need it.

Might as well buy made in China taps to fix a made in China manifold. Just make sure you do not run the tap all the way through. You can see the taps are tapered. That is how the threads seal, they get tighter as you go farther in. If you run the tap down too far, it can make the threads too large. And also, ,when tightening the sensor, don't get carried away. If you tighten it too tight, it can crack the manifold, especially if it's thin. Transfer case drain plugs are also NPT and I have seen people crack the cases on those also by overtightening them.

deRangerous

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Ext
Transmission
Automatic
I really appreciate your reply and I hear you on proceeding with caution. I got one to thread and I'm glad no one was around to get a picture of my face as I forged ahead in my quest to meet specs(18ft/lbs). A while back I was working on a Maserati and told the owner I needed new TTY manifold bolts which he ignored. POP! Aged me twenty years right there. Excellent point on the taper as I hadn't even thought about that aspect. I just need about 3/4 of a thread if aligned correctly with the existing threads. Took the weekend off so I guess it's time to chase down that tap set and try not to wet myself if something goes CRACK!
LESSON RELEARNED: Never buy late at night, in the dark an "underpriced" "creampuff"! Thanks again for your help...
Anybody know that size? C'mon, somebody knows...?!?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals