• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Door Windows, The forward Lean Syndrome"

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
I am looking for information about the problem a lot of us have, not only Ranger Owners, with our front door windows leaning forward when closing and opening.

I am working with a guy who has a great idea on how to fix this situation and if anyone has a new idea or just a rehash of an old idea please post and make sure I know about it.

If this guy gets a fix for this major problem I will post what he intends to do but don't hold your breath because it is still going to take a while.

Planning, review of problem and existing fixes, and prototyping, testing of the prototype, a lot of time to be involved.

Post anything you are thinking about that could help.

Thx, take care

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never seen that issue?

Rangers do use a single arm regulator, because glass is not that large or heavy, on older "big" glass widows they used scissor type regulator with second slider to balance the load

Is front part of window hanging up or is it just a balance issue, front is heavier so window tilts forward when regulator is farther back in the window track?

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Thanks Ron but I understand the problem.
I don't understand how you have never seen that issue or is that a joke.

I was hoping someone has run across a fix for the problem.

I have a friend that is working on a fix, a new slide assembly, a new mounting system, and maybe he will put together a kit so others can benefit form this fix. I am trying to see what people may have done already, it may help to avoid a pit fall.

Thanks for the reply.

Ltr

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No joke I was serious, I have never owned a Ranger newer than my current 1994 and haven't noticed that issue, they are power windows if that matters

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The only RBV I have ever seen that on was my 94 Explorer...

The problem was were the bottom of the window attached to the upper arm, it was no longer attached. A big globe of clear silicone solved that issue for 10 years quiet well.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, never heard of the issue either.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
I have been told it happens more in the '93 and newer... Ford changed the mechanical movement and the mounting.

My '88 didn't have the problem and it used the scissors mechanism but these new one arm lifts put a lot of pressure in the wrong places.

Thanks for the input !

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looked it up at LMC

1983-1992 used 1 arm type: https://www.lmctruck.com/1983-11-ford/door-glass-parts/fr-1983-92-door-window-components

Same as 1993 and up: https://www.lmctruck.com/1983-11-ford/door-glass-parts/fr-1993-11-front-door-window-components

Even looks like the old glass would be front heavy from hole placement

I don't think we would even be having a discussion like this if we still had WINDWINGS!!!!
Thats the REAL issue here, no windwings, lol

Anyway, if you look at the 1993 and up diagram above you will see the center rail #2
The slider on that rail is bolted to the window glass and has an upper and lower "runner"
If glass is tight and "runners" are tight then can't see how glass could "slope" forward, there would have to be play somewhere
Or maybe glass "runners" are out of adjustment or need a bit of lube so glass can slide easily

The center rail and the upper and lower "runners" should hold the glass "level" regardless of the regulators pushing or pulling on it
If the "runners" bushings are worn out then zip ties might beef them back up

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
RonD,
Thx for the info.
From what is posted I see what you are saying but my 95 , my 99, my 03 all had the same problem the ford of the door window sloped forward when raising the window. Must be the lift position or a different track is being used to align the windows.
After a while you get used to the problem and adjust but funny Ford never did anything about it.

On the other Forums you get a few posting about the door widow and seems a lot of people say the same thing, window slant.

Thanks again for taking time to check this out, I will forward the info on to my friend, maybe we need to design in some vent windows.

Ltr

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
With window 1/2 way down and door panel off, grab the window and move the glass to see where its loose
Could be the up/down center rail is not tight at the top or bottom, or the glass or the slider on the rail

And could be the front window track is too tight and holding the front down when raising the window, but would expect it to even out when window was going down, or raise the front higher than rear on the way down

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Thx but all I need to do is open the window a few inches for air, try to crank it up and the front doesn't go up but the back does.
The actual amount of the Nose down isn't much but as others have stated it allows an air noise to come in and increases as the speed increases.

I will try the Shaking idea on mine to locate anything loose and I will pass on any new info to my friend.

I am still hoping he comes up with a permanent fix, or even a new regulator, if it fixes the problem I'm willing to consider a complete replacement unit.

Here's to finding a fix to the window problem for all Rangers that have this problem.

Ltr

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That reads like the back of the window is hitting the top before front so regulator has to push and twist the rail and slider to get front edge up

So going down from full closed untwists it and front edge drops

reads like window is just not aligned, maybe it was just a factory assembly issue on many Rangers since you have noticed it on a few Rangers

Found a fix described here in post #9: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1360726-how-do-i-align-windows-that-raise-crooked-97-ranger.html

Trump8MyKids

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have to roll it back down halfway, force it forward, crank it back up and then it seals properly.
I always thought the track just gained some play over the years. Had no idea this was a popular issue.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Hey all, Been on Honey Do List Duty... !

I thought the '88 has a scissor lift but I'm wrong again.
All I know is my '88 STX didn't do it and my '95 XL. '00 XLT, and my '03 EDGE all do it.
My '88 had Vent Windows, maybe the tracks were more rugged or braced better.
Wonder if the earlier lift mechanism will work in later trucks !

Did the '01 - '11 ever have the vent windows ?

This is really getting to me, I think Ford should have a fix for this problem.

Thanks to all for posting, I am still looking for a fix but not holding out on finding one.
A friend is working on something, if it goes well and he want it posted, I will post something !

Stay Safe

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Vent windows, "wind wings", went bye-bye in the late 1970's-early 1980's when AC became more popular and profitable

So no, no vents in Rangers after 1984 I think

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals