• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Door rattle

Emma90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F-250
How do I stop my car door from rattling?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
We need more info. Make, model, and year? Some have adjustments and others don't. So, we need more information before we can answer.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Jeep Wrangler 2020
That's a brand new vehicle, so it will be covered under warranty or should be if the dealer is worth anything. Have them figure it out and fix it.

Emma90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F-250
That's a brand new vehicle, so it will be covered under warranty or should be if the dealer is worth anything. Have them figure it out and fix it.
Thank you very much for the information, sgtsandman.

Mike Tonon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m currently working on this on my 07 Ranger. It’s always done it over bumps. But it’s gotten a little worse. Pushing in the door striker just a tad helps. But that’s not really the fix. And it’s not hinge pins, either. Not unless they’re really sloppy. It’s the latch assembly hitting on the side of the striker. I added rubber with weatherstrip adhesive on the top and bottom edge of the striker towards the door. Now it’s almost perfect. Hardly does it, except sometimes over very abrupt bumps. But it’s not as loud. I’m working on getting the thickness and shape of the rubber, just right. As thick as possible, without the door sticking. I also might grind about .02” off of the back side of the striker, just past where the latch grabs, top and bottom, because I think that’s tapping on the outer edge of the latch assembly and or cutout in the door for the latch assembly. I have to take a close look at it when I have the time.

Looks like an easy fix, just need to get the details just right.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Yup, I have a 2007 also with all 4 rattling doors. Mike, I would not grind on anything holding the door for liability reasons.

All my hinges are ok I believe. My fix has been using rubber stoppers glued to the inner door areas as a test only. Makes the doors hard to close. Have to slam them shut harder than I would expect. But it stops the rattle a bit.

I'm thing of adding metal to what would seem like a worn part (if I could find any spots) with a simple MIG tack of some metal flux wire. My design is the same as Justin posted in his picture. It may be the moving "fork" in each door that has worn. I don't want to replace all that rubber. Nothing is adjustable. Can't even unscrew any of the TORX fasteners even with a new bit & an impact. Maybe I could attempt to wrap some shim material around the "strike plate" (that picture Justin posted) and see what happens. I really can't find anything with worn marks however. Looking for an easy fix that is the right & safe fix. Restoration has it's secret techniques & I have to find them regarding the rattling doors issue. If I have any luck, I'll post it here. - Doug

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals