• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Door locks problems

98fordf150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
98 f150 XL door locks hardly ever work. I have to wiggle the key back and forth for at least 2 minutes to get them to unlock either door. Tried spraying penetrating lube into the key slot opening, but that didn't help at all. Any suggestions? Anybody??

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
???

Need new lock cylinders or your current keys are very worn down so don't push up and down the release pins
Keys do wear out, if they no longer have sharp peaks and valleys they are worn out

Drivers door lock usually wears out first, so if your key also has a hard time on the passenger side lock then I would say its the key that's the problem, a locksmith can sometimes cut a new key restoring the peaks and valleys, can't do that with a simple key cutter machine, it just cuts the worn out pattern

You can get new door lock cylinders with 2 new keys, but would have a separate ignition key(current key)

Or you can get a full lock set, 2 door lock cylinders and 1 ignition cylinder with 2 new keys, BUT...............1998 F-150 may have PATS, passive anti-theft system, if thats the case the new ignition keys would have to be added to the system by locksmith or you using Forscan software

Last edited:

98fordf150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ron. Yeah, that's exactly the problem. The key is severely worn and I knew the key maker probably would only be able to duplicate what's left of it. Guess it's time to stop being a cheapskate and buy new lock cylinders.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can check with Ford dealer using your VIN, and some locksmiths have access to that as well

With VIN a dealer can cut an original key, so not a copy an original

Problem is they usually only have that info going back 15 years from current year, but its a free call :)

You have to bring in the vehicle or the title to pick up a key made using VIN, just FYI

98fordf150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's a great idea. Thanks for the info!

98fordf150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Ron, I decided to try and replace the door lock cylinders instead of paying for a key to be made. Reason being if I have to remove the cylinder anyway I can buy brand new ones for right around the same price as having a key made. I had the door panel off today and wasn't sure how to go about removing the lock cylinder. Any suggestions?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never did that on an 1998 F150 but if the cylinder is part of the door opener/handle then you will need to pull out the whole unit to swap the cylinders

Google: 1998 ford f150 removing door lock cylinder video

There are a few videos on replacing the handle and/or cylinder

98fordf150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never did that on an 1998 F150 but if the cylinder is part of the door opener/handle then you will need to pull out the whole unit to swap the cylinders

Google: 1998 ford f150 removing door lock cylinder video

There are a few videos on replacing the handle and/or cylinder

98fordf150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have looked all over the internet and I find nothing vehicle specific for my truck. There are plenty of videos on ford rangers, or door handle removal, etc., but I find nothing for 1998 Ford f150 XL with manual door lock cylinder removal/replacement. Crazy!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If key cylinder is part of the handle then you need to remove the handle to change the cylinder

Door lock Cylinders do have a left and right, the plastic "arm" can be installed either way so match the old cylinder

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals