• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Door lock actuator help.

warhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm changing out my passenger door lock actuator, I was wondering if anyone had and trips or tricks on how to do it. I have directions from my truck CD but I didn't know if anyone knew a better way. I have a 2000 Ranger XLT with the power package. Thanks guys.

Jeepman401

Reaction score
What does it tell you to do

I know some directions tell you to remove the window, but you can get by with just loosening the window track

warhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The directions just tell me to remove the window track, I don't think it says to remove the whole window. I was planning on rolling up the window and trying to pull out the locking mechanism. I do have one question, is there a way to unfasten the lock actuator while it's still inside to door?

alain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Remove your inner door panel.
The actuator is located in at the bottom/rear of the door.
It's held in place by a single pop rivet. Simply drill the rivet.
Unhook the electrical connection.
That it.

warhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help guys, I swaped out the actuator today over lunch. Everything works great.

sdmsc

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
...Simply drill the rivet.
Unhook the electrical connection.
That it.
That answers the question I had. Just pulled the inner panel off on my '98 and as far as I could tell someone had decided to make the lock actuator 'non-serviceable'. 'spose I'll clean this window track grease off my arm and go get the drill...

[If I still worked in Dearborn I'd track down the knucklehead who made that decision and rivet their doors shut.]

sdmsc

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, this little motor is running ~$100 at the few sites that claim to have it. Anyone got a better source?? Or a 3rd party replacement that's not a bear to fit?

alain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, this little motor is running ~$100 at the few sites that claim to have it. Anyone got a better source?? Or a 3rd party replacement that's not a bear to fit?
You can use an universal one, 10 to 15$, it will fit easily. better yet, try to find one use in a boneyard

coffee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Get power door lock actuators from www.electri-life.com. These people make good stuff and stand by it. I've used their power window conversion for the Ranger and it was a bolt up deal. Their power locks aren't bad to install. Whatever you do, stay away from auto-loc like herpes.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
is it the same deal for 93? my driver side wont work. when i hit the switch, it moves, but its like its stuck or somthing, my pops n i looked at it in the door n everything looked fine, squirted some marvel on it, no dice. i probably need a new one eh?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals