• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Don't you just hate it when....

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
So, I finally got off my rear and tore the front cover off. Thankfully it wasn't cracked. Got everything cleanup and put back together. I don't think most of the parts had been off before or it has been a long while. Damn engineer that designed the a/c compressor mounting bracket should be punished. There is like no room to get access to the bolts and you only get about 1/8 to 1/4 turn on them. Stupid crazy. Overall it took me about 3 hours to do but I did spend looking for the damn motor mount nut for 20 minutes and had to run to the parts store for a damn 21mm socket for the crank bolt. So that was another 40 minutes or so.

Good news, I let it run for 45 minutes and the gauge didn't go over 3/8. So the overheating issue I had was more than the fan clutch, a friggin' pin hole leak in the timing cover gasket. Happy to be driving the Ranger again.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Well, I'm assuming this is a "when it rains, it pours" moment.

The heater core just started leaking on my floor mat. I guess everything is original and it's due for replacement. So, I picked up new heater core and I'm installing it tomorrow.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's most likely the easiest heater core you'll ever have to do... so there is that going for ya.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Parts failures come in three's, so you only have one more to go.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Replace the timing case cover! Those aluminum covers corrode and then leak. I've had to replace two - 3.0L in my 2002 Ranger and the 460 in my '75 Ranchero.

After the Ranger replacement, I bought an electronic ph tester to be sure my coolant does not go acidic.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Imagine needing to remove the entirety of your IRS just to change brake rotors, or needing to remove your motor to change headgaskets.
That brake crap was a Jaguar thing for many years. They had "inboard" rear brake rotors, meaning the rotors were placed near the differential instead of by the wheels. Race car design (Formula 1), don't you know. Except that's stupid and makes no difference in brake performance in a street car.

Unfortunately, I understand a bad head gasket on a Ranger 4.0 SOHC could require removing the engine. Plenty of people have said if a 4.0 SOHC overheats, you will crack a head or the block, and then guess what... So I make sure I take care of the cooling system in mine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals