• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dont disown me...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The ZJ's did great in snow, I think because they were so well weight proportioned front/rear. The first ZJ I had was full time 4WD and used the NP249, no computer input garbage that they use now. It was a 48/52 front to rear torque split, and could send all power front or rear if needed via the viscous coupler in the transfer case. Today's versions rely on the ABS/traction control/stability control systems to tell the 4WD what to do and when....they're rear wheel drive until traction loss is sensed and then it will decide if and when you get power to the front axle in many cases it isn't when you want it LOL. My 2nd ZJ had the Selec-Trac 4WD using the NP242 transfer case, which is by far better as you get full time 4WD via an open center differential rather than a viscous coupler that was prone to failure as the vehicle aged, and you also get part time 4WD mechanically....and you get the 2.72:1 low range as well. The only thing better was the WJ's from 1999-2004 that had the Quadra-Drive 4WD system which utilized a gerotor pump in the transfer case instead of the viscous coupler, and had Varilock front and rear axles which would progressively lock up to a full on locker if needed but revert back to open differentials when additional traction wasn't needed, and this was a bare bones stock WJ with that capability. The Quadra-Drive used the Quadra-Trac NP247 transfer case, but added the Varilock differentials. After 2004 they did away with the front Varilock, and went to just a rear now they only have a rear E-Locker, and use the brake bias torque vectoring system up front.

The Grand Cherokee is quite comfortable even in the 1st gen ZJ platform and solid axles, yep solid axles up until the end of WJ production in 2004...2005 WK's went to independent front suspension with rear solid axle. WK-2's starting in 2011 and models since are all independent 4 wheel suspension. I haven't ridden in anything newer than a WJ, but I'd bet the WK's and newer WL's are even more comfortable with the coil spring independent suspension. These are also, all built on a Unibody platform.
They do provide the 48/52 power split but they dont only send power to the rear unless the front slips. Both axles get torque all the time. But if a wheel slips then the brake is applied to that wheel to send power to the other wheel. In what matter it does this depends on which mode you select.

So its fulltime 4wd not AWD like a subaru or something.

Now in 4low it takes the differential action out of the Tcase and locks everything togther in a 50/50 split similar to the traditional 4wd we are all used to.

Atleast thats how i understand it.

5.7L HEMI is only available in the Grand Cherokee L Overland and higher trims which is the 3 row Grand Cherokee. I figured they'd have a higher tow capacity but they don't, pretty much the same 7200lbs as my 08 Explorer with the 4.6L V8. So I guess no point in getting the V8 LOL. Wouldn't mind a newer Grand Cherokee at some point I really miss my 96/98 ZJ's in the winter. The Explorer's "Auto 4x4" isn't anywhere close to the 4WD system in the Grand Cherokee back then...would be interesting to get into a WK2 Grand Cherokee to compare LOL.

Wait...you researched a vehicle before you bought it, that's it, someone's gotta like limit your login or something LOL....
There were no 3 row WK2's, the L didnt start untill the new model came out this year. The 5.7L has been an option since 05 i believe across all trims but its rare on anything lower then an overland. There are some limiteds out there with it but i didnt find any laredos but i did read V8 laredos exist.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Im not to worried about reliabilty, the 3.6 seems to be a solid engine and the 8 sp is good as well. We'll see lol.
I think the 3.6 has turned out to be ok. I had a 2011 Avenger with the 3.6. I think it was the first year for it. Had it for almost 9 years and well over 100k. Easily got 30-32mpg mixed highway/city and claimed 285hp. It would scoot when you got it up to about 5k RPMs. They had a couple issues (I think they were oiling related) in the first few years but pretty sure that was resolved by 2014. I did replace a rocker on the #5 exhaust but got it before it ate the cam. They had defective needle bearings in a small number of rockers back then. Pretty easy to work on even though mine was sideways...

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
My first zj had the viscous coupler tcase in it. It was a decent system but when it started having issues, i got a tcase from an early yj wrangler snd changed the input shaft and dropped that in. It was an early 231j so 2wd, 4hi and 4lo. Still worked good but now had to out it in 4.

But man those zjs were so nice riding. They were luke cadillac suvs, before cadi made suvs

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
They do provide the 48/52 power split but they dont only send power to the rear unless the front slips. Both axles get torque all the time. But if a wheel slips then the brake is applied to that wheel to send power to the other wheel. In what matter it does this depends on which mode you select.

So its fulltime 4wd not AWD like a subaru or something.

Now in 4low it takes the differential action out of the Tcase and locks everything togther in a 50/50 split similar to the traditional 4wd we are all used to.

Atleast thats how i understand it.

There were no 3 row WK2's, the L didnt start untill the new model came out this year. The 5.7L has been an option since 05 i believe across all trims but its rare on anything lower then an overland. There are some limiteds out there with it but i didnt find any laredos but i did read V8 laredos exist.
Good to know they went back to that system, the constant power being sent up front is a huge help in bad weather, the 247 transfer cases they went to in the WJ's and newer were only rear wheel drive until traction was lost then it would variably send power to the front.

Correct ZJ's, WJ's, WK's and WK 2's didn't have a 3rd row. The new WL's are the first Grand Cherokee with a 3rd Row offering in the "L" model. The only other 3rd row equipped Jeep product was the Jeep Commander (2006-2010). The new WL's only offer the V8 in the "L" series in the Overland and above, already spoke with dealerships about that...no more V8's across the board like they used to have the option of, now you gotta jump into the high dollar Grand Cherokees to get that V8 LOL.

The 249 Transfer cases were the 48/52 torque split front to rear continuously with the ability to send more to the front if needed. The 247 Transfer cases which were in the WJ's (1999-2004) and some in the WK's were rear wheel drive only until traction was lost, then it would start to send power to the front as needed, then revert back to 2WD when traction was regained....people that used their Jeeps to plow quickly found out about that little quirk LOL.

Yes, 4Lo locks everything together in a part-time 4WD configuration.

With the different terrain modes this changes the 4WD system in several ways to be more responsive and be engaged sending power to the front in varying amounts like you stated depending on what setting you select. These new WL's have a completely different 4WD system than previous models now that the Terrain Select system is being used, it totally changes the 4WD response in snow mode it will start the transmission off in 2nd gear to help keep wheel spin to a minimum.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
My first zj had the viscous coupler tcase in it. It was a decent system but when it started having issues, i got a tcase from an early yj wrangler snd changed the input shaft and dropped that in. It was an early 231j so 2wd, 4hi and 4lo. Still worked good but now had to out it in 4.

But man those zjs were so nice riding. They were luke cadillac suvs, before cadi made suvs
My 96 ZJ had the 249 Transfer case, the Viscous Coupler surprisingly lasted 219k before it started having fits...then it finally failed completely around the 221k mark which luckily when they fail they fail locked so you still have 4WD, its just part time 4WD at that point, so pulling into and out of parking spaces you'd get the tire chirping, and hopping issues from the drive train binding up. Never did replace the T-case, sold it as it was at 232k. The 231 T-Case was a great one, as was the 242, which the 242 was a 231 with the added open center differential for full time 4WD mode, the rest of the internals between the 231 and 242 were the same.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

It evidently works pretty well...

Way more capability then i ever will use. I might run some old logging roads or whatever up north with it but im not gonna wheel it hard...i got quads for that shit lol

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo

It evidently works pretty well...

Way more capability then i ever will use. I might run some old logging roads or whatever up north with it but im not gonna wheel it hard...i got quads for that shit lol
They're extremely capable crossovers for sure, the most capable out there actually, even more capable with the Quadra-Drive 4WD system which gives you the e-locker in the rear. However, I found I never needed lockers with either of my ZJ's, the limited slip in my 98 ZJ got me everywhere I'd ever care to go in a luxury Jeep LOL.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals