• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dont disown me...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Its a Jeep sorry you got one of them things. Let us know when it become a Heep instead. I've owned 2 Grand Cherokees, both of them were 1st gen ZJ's though back when the I6 was still available, and still had a manually shifted transfer case, yep with low range which hardly got used LOL. Don't know much about the newer ones, other than now you can't get them with the V8 which would be the only way I would have gotten another Grand Cherokee. My 1st Grand Cherokee was a Limited 4L I6 with quadra-trac 4WD, went everywhere I wanted to go, sold it with 232k on it. My 98 Grand Cherokee was the SE, basically the same thing as a Limited without the Limited stickers, also with the 4L I6 but had selec-trac 4WD. Selec-Trac was the better 4WD system both full and part time 4WD in 1 transfer case, and no electronics controlling it. I ended up trading it in with 147k on it because the transmission had issues...common to the 42RE transmission, and the engine bottom end sounded like it would grenade itself at anytime....traded it in on my 08 Ford Explorer...which was probably a good move since I now need to tow around 5500lbs occasionally.

Still the Grand Cherokee is the best all around bad weather vehicle out there I think when it comes to the 4WD systems.

Something you might want if your Jeep didn't come with it is the original build sheet (not the window sticker)...this sheet tells you everything about the vehicle...just enter your VIN on this site and print it out: https://www.farkistan.org/votsws.php. You can get the window sticker too on newer Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, and Ram vehicles. That site is how I found out my last Grand Cherokee had the factory limited slip axle, and the heavier duty Dana axles.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
JEEP Stuff happens...
I blame it on PTSD ADD FBI NSA
Oh, all that conspiracy stuff!!

Everyone knows to blame it on global warming.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
But i made my first real forray into the world of modern vehicles yesterday...

View attachment 86336

2017 Grand Cherokee. 81k miles. 3.6L V6, All the fancy stuff i swore id never own, IRS and unibody.

So far im impressed. Got 23.5mpg cruising home yesterday. The 3.6 with the 8 speed is friggin quick. Its got all the terrain mode selections for the 4wd.

I ponied up extra for chrysler max care...cause i doubt id even be able to change the oil in this thing.

It was dark when i got home but ill take more pics later today.
So i wasnt imagining things when i saw 4 horsemen...

Welcome to modern car ownership, much of the little stuff you will still be able to do, including stuff like brakes, belts (although those can be a pain, and oil changes if you want. I am 51 and i would just rather someone else deal with it because it sucks getting down on the concrete and crawling under the car lol

Also, you will find that it will probably go quite a few years with only wear item replacements

AJ

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Its a Jeep sorry you got one of them things. Let us know when it become a Heep instead. I've owned 2 Grand Cherokees, both of them were 1st gen ZJ's though back when the I6 was still available, and still had a manually shifted transfer case, yep with low range which hardly got used LOL. Don't know much about the newer ones, other than now you can't get them with the V8 which would be the only way I would have gotten another Grand Cherokee. My 1st Grand Cherokee was a Limited 4L I6 with quadra-trac 4WD, went everywhere I wanted to go, sold it with 232k on it. My 98 Grand Cherokee was the SE, basically the same thing as a Limited without the Limited stickers, also with the 4L I6 but had selec-trac 4WD. Selec-Trac was the better 4WD system both full and part time 4WD in 1 transfer case, and no electronics controlling it. I ended up trading it in with 147k on it because the transmission had issues...common to the 42RE transmission, and the engine bottom end sounded like it would grenade itself at anytime....traded it in on my 08 Ford Explorer...which was probably a good move since I now need to tow around 5500lbs occasionally.

Still the Grand Cherokee is the best all around bad weather vehicle out there I think when it comes to the 4WD systems.

Something you might want if your Jeep didn't come with it is the original build sheet (not the window sticker)...this sheet tells you everything about the vehicle...just enter your VIN on this site and print it out: https://www.farkistan.org/votsws.php. You can get the window sticker too on newer Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, and Ram vehicles. That site is how I found out my last Grand Cherokee had the factory limited slip axle, and the heavier duty Dana axles.
I found the windowsticker when i yanked the carfax on it. Yes i actually did RESEARCH before buying a vehicle this time. First time probably ever lol.

They still come with V8's. The 5.7L hemi is an option. I test drove a 2011 with the hemi and the 5 speed auto. This 2017 with the V6/8sp seems to be damn near as quick and i was averaging 23.5mpg cruiseing it home at 60.

Im sure the hemi with the 8sp is a monster...but the V6 also runs a 3.45 rear gear compared to the hemis 3.09.

I wanted the hemi but im actually glad i went with the 6. Its got plenty of ass and theres ALOT more room in the engine bay to get to stuff. Plus the hemis average 16mpg on so and are recommended for 89octane

Hell...might could even outrun my 2.9:sneaky:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
It's incomplete. You need one of those upside down Jeep stickers on the windshield. Of one of those "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" stickers since you don't have an external mounted spare on the tailgate.
and a rubber ducky for some reason.
1671027973096.png

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
that stupid duck thing. i have a wrangler and don't know why people do that dumb crap and grand cherokees don't get the stickers and waves wranglers get. even the old cherokees and grand cherokees that are built up don't get the waves and dumb roll me over stickers people put on wranglers, like wranglers are the world's best off-road vehicle.

i think the old zj grand cherokee mentioned above is one of the best bad weather vehicles too. i think they are actually great family vehicles for long trips too because of hte comfort, room inside, and dependability

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
that stupid duck thing. i have a wrangler and don't know why people do that dumb crap and grand cherokees don't get the stickers and waves wranglers get. even the old cherokees and grand cherokees that are built up don't get the waves and dumb roll me over stickers people put on wranglers, like wranglers are the world's best off-road vehicle.

i think the old zj grand cherokee mentioned above is one of the best bad weather vehicles too. i think they are actually great family vehicles for long trips too because of hte comfort, room inside, and dependability
The ZJ's did great in snow, I think because they were so well weight proportioned front/rear. The first ZJ I had was full time 4WD and used the NP249, no computer input garbage that they use now. It was a 48/52 front to rear torque split, and could send all power front or rear if needed via the viscous coupler in the transfer case. Today's versions rely on the ABS/traction control/stability control systems to tell the 4WD what to do and when....they're rear wheel drive until traction loss is sensed and then it will decide if and when you get power to the front axle in many cases it isn't when you want it LOL. My 2nd ZJ had the Selec-Trac 4WD using the NP242 transfer case, which is by far better as you get full time 4WD via an open center differential rather than a viscous coupler that was prone to failure as the vehicle aged, and you also get part time 4WD mechanically....and you get the 2.72:1 low range as well. The only thing better was the WJ's from 1999-2004 that had the Quadra-Drive 4WD system which utilized a gerotor pump in the transfer case instead of the viscous coupler, and had Varilock front and rear axles which would progressively lock up to a full on locker if needed but revert back to open differentials when additional traction wasn't needed, and this was a bare bones stock WJ with that capability. The Quadra-Drive used the Quadra-Trac NP247 transfer case, but added the Varilock differentials. After 2004 they did away with the front Varilock, and went to just a rear now they only have a rear E-Locker, and use the brake bias torque vectoring system up front.

The Grand Cherokee is quite comfortable even in the 1st gen ZJ platform and solid axles, yep solid axles up until the end of WJ production in 2004...2005 WK's went to independent front suspension with rear solid axle. WK-2's starting in 2011 and models since are all independent 4 wheel suspension. I haven't ridden in anything newer than a WJ, but I'd bet the WK's and newer WL's are even more comfortable with the coil spring independent suspension. These are also, all built on a Unibody platform.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I found the windowsticker when i yanked the carfax on it. Yes i actually did RESEARCH before buying a vehicle this time. First time probably ever lol.

They still come with V8's. The 5.7L hemi is an option. I test drove a 2011 with the hemi and the 5 speed auto. This 2017 with the V6/8sp seems to be damn near as quick and i was averaging 23.5mpg cruiseing it home at 60.

Im sure the hemi with the 8sp is a monster...but the V6 also runs a 3.45 rear gear compared to the hemis 3.09.

I wanted the hemi but im actually glad i went with the 6. Its got plenty of ass and theres ALOT more room in the engine bay to get to stuff. Plus the hemis average 16mpg on so and are recommended for 89octane

Hell...might could even outrun my 2.9:sneaky:
5.7L HEMI is only available in the Grand Cherokee L Overland and higher trims which is the 3 row Grand Cherokee. I figured they'd have a higher tow capacity but they don't, pretty much the same 7200lbs as my 08 Explorer with the 4.6L V8. So I guess no point in getting the V8 LOL. Wouldn't mind a newer Grand Cherokee at some point I really miss my 96/98 ZJ's in the winter. The Explorer's "Auto 4x4" isn't anywhere close to the 4WD system in the Grand Cherokee back then...would be interesting to get into a WK2 Grand Cherokee to compare LOL.

Wait...you researched a vehicle before you bought it, that's it, someone's gotta like limit your login or something LOL....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals