• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Does this sound like the MAF?

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought a 94 Ranger with a 4.0L and runs great when driving, how ever when idleing it doesnt want to stay running at times. Some times it will idle a lil rough and stay running and others just putters out and dies. Also every once in a while, not often, it will stutter just one time when cruising at highway speeds around 65. The guy I bought the truck from said he replaced every sensor on the engine except the MAF because he didnt have the correct bit to take out the lil screws. Any way I think this may be the problum but want to see what some of you have to say about it. Other than that idle issue and the occasional stutter (only at highway speeds, like once in an hour. Like one lil miss) the engine runs great and is very strong for having 200k miles on it.

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Any check engine light on at all? I'd also check the intake hose that goes to the TB for cracks. Make sure the upper intake and the TB is torqued well too. I'd try and find a code that supports the MAF being bad or malfunctioning before you drop the $100+ on the part. Check for any leaks in the intake system before you rule that it ACTUALLY IS the MAF. Unplug the MAF and see if it runs any worse that is already is as well. Also, pick up a Vacuum Gauge and take a look at your idling vacuum pressure. You also don't need to take the senors out of the housing, all the refurbs are sold with the aluminum housing so you don't have to deal with those stupid security torx!

Last edited:

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 94 Ranger with a 4.0L and runs great when driving, how ever when idleing it doesnt want to stay running at times. Some times it will idle a lil rough and stay running and others just putters out and dies. Also every once in a while, not often, it will stutter just one time when cruising at highway speeds around 65. The guy I bought the truck from said he replaced every sensor on the engine except the MAF because he didnt have the correct bit to take out the lil screws. Any way I think this may be the problum but want to see what some of you have to say about it. Other than that idle issue and the occasional stutter (only at highway speeds, like once in an hour. Like one lil miss) the engine runs great and is very strong for having 200k miles on it.
MAF has done that in my ranger. (easy to unscrew)

Good luck

Last edited:

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it does say check engine but not all the time, it will pop on for 5-10 mins then turn off for another 5-10 mins roughly, never can tell when the light is going to come on. I will go out and take a look and check for cracks. I will have to pick up a torque bar though, dont have one of those atm.

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any check engine light on at all? I'd also check the intake hose that goes to the TB for cracks. Make sure the upper intake and the TB is torqued well too. I'd try and find a code that supports the MAF being bad or malfunctioning before you drop the $100+ on the part. Check for any leaks in the intake system before you rule that it ACTUALLY IS the MAF. Unplug the MAF and see if it runs any worse that is already is as well. Also, pick up a Vacuum Gauge and take a look at your idling vacuum pressure. You also don't need to take the senors out of the housing, all the refurbs are sold with the aluminum housing so you don't have to deal with those stupid security torx!
aw ok, I think if my friend new that he problubly would have replaced that MAF a while ago lol.....o well to late now. Thanks for your imput guys, like I said truck is still drivable just at stop lights its annoying and embarrissing when it dies lol but o well other than that and the occasionall hicup at high way speeds motor runs great, very strong. Especially for having over 200k miles on it.

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It may be worth checking the wiring harness that goes to the MAF. If that bundle of wires are not attached to something to keep it from swinging around, you could have a split wiring inside the insulation which would cause a very nasty intermittent circuit. It would be worth looking into that in my opinion. Pick up a wiring diagram and a multimeter if you wanna check that out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals