• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Does this seem like a fair deal?

kawana

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Im just wondering if this ranger seems like a good deal. The mileage is a little higher than I normally get, but the price is ok.

1992 Ford Ranger supercab. 4 litre , 5 spd. , excellent runner , good condition. 310,000 K , mostly hwy. Aircared , inspected about a year ago. Compression 165 x 6. Lots done , always maintained. $1700 OBO.
For those that dont know, 310,000km's - 192,625 miles.

Im just wondering how much it might cost to either have it rebuilt, or swap in a new engine.

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
over priced 310 000 kms on a gasoline engine is brutal. and for 1700$ the guy is insane.

that things is worth maybe 900$ unless its in pristine shape. i doubt it. you can do better.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, if the owner's telling the truth (you'll know it when you go look at it) and you maintain that kind of care, just drive it another 100-200k (maybe more) till it needs replacing. in the meantime, you'll be able to decide what engine you want in there and be able to get everything you need over the coming years, spreading out the cost over time. just my $.02.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd give him 100 bucks... anything with that many miles ain't worth crap.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Mine's got 206,000 miles on it, runs like the day we bought it... aside from the timing belt. Which lasted 206,000 miles. As irritating as it is to get at, I'll probably just let it break again lol. Not like it'll actually hurt anything.

We've always maintained it. Records every oil change, every oil change done within 3-5,000 miles, records of every bit of maintenance. If it's been well cared for, miles aren't much of a problem. I know several people driving 4 and 500,000 mile cars around me.

Shoot, we even keep records of every tank of gas we put in it. the date, trip miles, gallons, and type of fuel ("Mobil R" for example). Every tank since it was 9,000 miles old (early return lease)

Go check it out, offer him a little less maybe. if it drives great, fluids look good, everything is super clean and all the specs check out, it should still have a fair amount of life left in it.

Not all of us beat the crap out of stuff like we stole it.

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
What CL said. I've seen vehicles with 400,000 on them run as good as a new one. Hell my baby is 98 miles shy of 200,000 and I'd drive her to the left coast in a heartbeat.....cept I don't have the funds and with my luck the big one would hit right as I got there..... Anyways give it a look over, offer what you think is fair and enjoy!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals