• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Does anyone completely go through their new to them truck when you first get it?

venuspie1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just picked up my 95 and it had one owner and 168k miles. Kept up really well and runs great. So the first thing I do is start replacing things. Makes sense I know. I really enjoy tinkering and just making things better. So I replace all the maintenance items. Plugs,wires, filters, t-stat, oil and trans fluid. Flushed the heater core and radiator and engine block when doing t-stat. Vacuum lines or anything else I can come up with. Actually looking for more ideas of maintenance items if anyone has some.

None of this HAD to be done but I enjoy it so much that I actually start wasting money on parts. My last ranger, I had $3500 in a $2500 truck. New A/C, which was a fun learning experience. New timing belt etc.... Goes on and on. Then I had to sell it because I wanted this 95 4.0 pretty bad. Had to take a loss on it.

I starting to look at it as if I'm paying for my enjoyment so it isn't a loss. I really have fun tearing it apart and putting it back better.

Anyone else like this? Or am I just crazy.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Nope, when I buy a used truck I never even test drive it. I bring it home and weld the hood shut. What goes on under there is none of my business!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Most of my vehicles came to me as basket case junk that needed a lot of work... so yes... they get a lot of repairs right off the bat, simply out of necessity.

venuspie1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What I'm talking about is doing stuff for no other reason than to make yourself feel better and know it was done right. Such as changing plugs and wires when the truck is running perfect already. Or changing all of the fluids even though the previous owner said they were done recently but has no proof and they look good on the dipstick. Replacing t-stat and flush and new coolant when it currently doesn't overheat.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
More of an IRRAN thing here; Inspect, Repair or Replace As Needed. I like splurging on other unnecessary luxuries like groceries and the light bill. : )

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I look for change under the seats and rug.

No, I don't replace things just cause. I'm too broke for that.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I go through anything I buy that isn't new and I take the brakes apart and lube up the caliper slides during the PDI on new ones I've bought. Making sure the maintenance is up to date isn't wasting money,it's insurance against break downs. If the coolant hoses are original they deserve replacement by now.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Nope not at all....Replacement engine and transmission rebuilt in my 88 Bronco 2....just replace all the drive train components as soon as you get a used vehicle it'll solve a few issues, electrically no, but mechanically it'll solve a few LOL.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I always assume the previous owner was an idiot and “never had to do anything but change the oil”. I’m seldom disappointed.

Even a “certified used” vehicle gets a complete once over.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When I bought the 2007 Mustang in November last year, I even took a code scanner with me to check and see if any PD codes were there. Guys like "what's that?" LMAO!!

Went through it with a fine tooth comb. Under the hood, under the car, trunk, everywhere. Test drove it. Was happy with it. Bought it! Got it home, ordered new intake the first day. Had it on the next weekend, along with a Ford Racing strut tower brace.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Never bought a used truck but when I buy a used anything else I change ALL the fluids and filters and check the plugs and replace if necessary.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I do my personal once over once the vehicle is home. This means lifted and 100% from nose to tail inspection and cleaning. I do this to know the vehicles condition and what needs or soon will need to be replaced. I have a touch of Vehicle OCD and it needs to be fixed to perfection, my perfection, or I literally loose sleep and dream about it. SO I do understand the need to fix or have something to do.

This stems from the need for gratification whether it be instant or from seeing the fruit of your labor it is all gratification. Many people like seeing something they accomplished and to see it physically and in 3D it is better.

Welcome to the car bug buddy... set a budget a week is the best suggestion I can give so you don't go broke. ;)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
If left to my own devices and an open pocketbook I would probably replace all typical wear items as soon as I buy a used vehicle. It’s never worked that way yet though.

Usually I take sgtsandman’s approach and give it a once over, tune-up, and cleaning. That’s typically all the time I have and all my wallet will take. Everything else takes on an extended scope of work.

My 4x4 Ranger is a prime example. I’ve had it just over three years now. From the day I drove it home I vowed to fix all of the half-baked wiring from a previous owner. It’s still not fixed, but that should change next week because it’s finally become a problem child. New battery terminals, wire, splitters, fuse blocks, the whole works. I’m tired of random no-starts because the wiring is finally giving up. I know it’s the wiring because I wiggled it the other day when it wouldn’t start (dome light wouldn’t even come on), and all of a sudden I had contact again. Pretty sure it’s probably battery terminal related to be precise, but I’m anal about wiring so it’s all getting done right. With welding cable instead of regular battery cable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals