• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dodge Ram SRT10

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
stmitch don't be so sure of that. There are many full size trucks that will smoke most cars at the drag strip. One being these heavy 3/4 and 1 ton diesel trucks They pull better 60ft times than most cars and these same truck can be driven to the drag strip, tuned to race, detuned to drive back home and get 20 miles per gallon. The 4 wd makes the trucks not need slicks.

How do I know this? I have a 2007.5 dodge 2500 4x4 regular cab putting out 650 to the tires. I can race all these bad cobras putting out 6oo+hp and spank them at the drag strip? These cars are so light they just spin.

So don't write of all full size trucks.
If you ran into someone that was really serious you would be in trouble.

Stock the Shelby's had too much motor for the car even before Ford had the brainy idea to drop the 5.8 in them. They can't fit tires to hold it without tubing the car and Ford neglects to do this at the factory. Nobody is going to tub their Shelby so that is what they get... $50-60k+ smoke machines with a wickedly cool banshee scream depending on model year. People mess around with pulleys so they can brag about how much power they have but they can't use it... nor would most know what to do with it if they could.

Of course there are other kinds of racing which your truck will not come out looking so rosy... like pretty much anything with a turn or faint curve involved.

At the end of the day racing (or pretty much any motorsport) is more a measure of money than anything else no matter what you start out with. Cars are cheaper to start out with, trucks especially diesels hold their value incredibly well. It does help they start out high priced too. Most new diesels in stock in my town rival a Shelby for price. They are also ridiculously expensive to work on.

Personally with two tettering 4x4 piles of iron in my fleet I long for a car that could take a turn with any kind of gumption... more than 20mpg for a long drive would be nice too because my F-150 can almost touch that.

But again measure of money means my 30 year old 200hp (@ flywheel) Ranger will be my "hot rod" for the foreseeable future. :icon_rofl:

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
How do I know this? I have a 2007.5 dodge 2500 4x4 regular cab putting out 650 to the tires. I can race all these bad cobras putting out 6oo+hp and spank them at the drag strip?
Are you asking us if you can "spank" them?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Diesels are a completely different ball game, and the cost is in a completely different ballpark. How much would you have to pay to get a diesel to outrun a 600hp cobra?
I still contend that for the money, you could have a smaller, lighter ranger that would be just as fast, or faster than a full size. That applies to any form of motor sports.

Ktmkris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I am not claiming to have the baddest truck. But what I am saying is I do drag race many cobras and have beaten most of them. We have a local 1/8 mile track. The cars are very strong, But they cannot hook with that kind of power like my 4wd truck can. My truck tips the scale at 5,800 lbs, has 650whp and 1600 ft pounds of torque. I have 33 tall X15.50 wide mickey Thompson tires, so the truck hooks. I have had people vomit from me launching so hard. The truck was $21,500, has a $600 set of 100hp nozzles, $800 worth of tuning, $300 5 inch exhaust, $450 cp3 pump kit (bag of parts), $400 batmowheel in the turbo, $1800 southbend dual disk clutch with 3850 clamp load, $600 custom blow off valve setup, $400 set of 110lb valve springs, $200 set of gauges, $20 rail plug, $500 lair dog lift pump, $300 larger piping, $700 for machining head and fire rings, $600 head studs,$200 intake...So for around $30,000 including price of the truck that is very cheap. Considering the Cheapest cobras around here are in the $20,000 range, then by the time you do upgrades you would have quite a bit more in it. Plus I can pull a trailer for my drag car, Which is a mustang.

I never said my truck could just dominate a cobra at every event, I don't road race, I don't do turns. But when it comes to drag racing traction is key, which I have. I use my parking break to boost up, I leave the line with 20lbs of boost, which jumps to 48lbs instantaneously, I am usually turning 3600rpms from take off, starting in 3rd gear. I only have to change gears once.

The only reason I even commented on this is because someone said that full size trucks were not to "sporty" compared to cars. The full size diesel trucks pretty much dominate our local drag strips.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you have a nice truck!
I never meant to say a diesel can't be fast. Or any full size truck for that matter. My point was that full size trucks can't compare to smaller vehicles for performance vs cost. For the 30 gs you paid to have a fast diesel, or the 20 gs that a decent used lightning or SRT10 would cost, you could have a very fast Ranger.
Rangers and small trucks are really cheap to buy, are rwd or 4wd, parts are cheap, and a variety of engine swaps are fairly easy compared to other types of vehicles. The biggest benefit is the lightness when compared to larger trucks. It will accelerate faster, brake in shorter distances, corner better, get better fuel economy, and do it all with less hp and torque.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Considering the Cheapest cobras around here are in the $20,000 range, then by the time you do upgrades you would have quite a bit more in it. Plus I can pull a trailer for my drag car, Which is a mustang.
What's faster, Mustang or Ram?

When you say Cobra do you mean Cobra or do you mean Shelby?

Sounds like you have a nice truck!
I never meant to say a diesel can't be fast. Or any full size truck for that matter. My point was that full size trucks can't compare to smaller vehicles for performance vs cost. For the 30 gs you paid to have a fast diesel, or the 20 gs that a decent used lightning or SRT10 would cost, you could have a very fast Ranger.
Rangers and small trucks are really cheap to buy, are rwd or 4wd, parts are cheap, and a variety of engine swaps are fairly easy compared to other types of vehicles. The biggest benefit is the lightness when compared to larger trucks. It will accelerate faster, brake in shorter distances, corner better, get better fuel economy, and do it all with less hp and torque.
For $30k you could get a new Mustang in the 13's that gets 30mpg...

Rangers have a knack for getting full-size fuel economy stock. My college roommate's '00 Ranger with a 4.0 and 16mpg was one of the reasons I shied away from a newer Ranger and got an F-150... with a 5.4 that gets 17-18mpg.

If you stay small block the Ranger is more than accommodating, big block or OHC and things get really tight unless you want just a race truck with no heat and fully custom steering. To the point I would wonder just how much weight you would really be saving by not going to a bigger std cab short box F-100/150 with an engine bay that will swallow just about anything easily.

Wider stance for the same height will probably help handling too. Still won't keep up with a car per $ for turning though.

Last edited:

Ktmkris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The ram cuts better 60 ft times, the mustang has better trap speeds. The mustang has a Doug Herbert 408 Windsor, 3500 stall and a c4, mini tubbed and Mickey Thompson e/t streets.

The problem with a 13 mustang is I cant pull a drag car with it, and Stoplight to stoplight that car is not faster.

When I say a cobra, I mean exactly that a cobra. About every track I go to has a group of 03/04 cobra guys who think they rule the place. I consider a gt500 a Shelby. The problem is most cannot drive, secondly they cannot get traction at the power those cars put out.

I respect the ranger with the v8's. I have a 1992 rc sb ranger 2.3 5sp that is calypso green. I have had the truck for 16 years. It was my first truck, And I hopefully will own it when my time is up. I am actually putting a 3 inch body lift, 7.5 inch suspension lift, 35 inch boggers on it. I started last night and will have it completely done by tomorrow. I will start a build thread on it.

Also for some reason, I was a member on here for 3 years, didn't use the forum for a while and reregistered. So I am not really a noob.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The ram cuts better 60 ft times, the mustang has better trap speeds. The mustang has a Doug Herbert 408 Windsor, 3500 stall and a c4, mini tubbed and Mickey Thompson e/t streets.
Sounds like a nice car. :icon_thumby:

The problem with a 13 mustang is I cant pull a drag car with it, and Stoplight to stoplight that car is not faster.
That was directed more towards a $30k race Ranger than your Ram. I would rather have a new Mustang than a Ranger with $30k in it. Obviously if you want something to pull a racecar around that you can also race your car selection is going to be rather limited vs truck.

When I say a cobra, I mean exactly that a cobra. About every track I go to has a group of 03/04 cobra guys who think they rule the place. I consider a gt500 a Shelby. The problem is most cannot drive, secondly they cannot get traction at the power those cars put out.
Around here for some reason there are more Shelby's than Cobras, Cobras being very sparse.

I agree about driving skill, most sporty cars are driven by people like that. They are also more concerned about what is under the hood more than what they can do with it.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think that's a nice sharp looking truck but would have no practical use for me. They are like the Shelbys, hidden away and not used. I've got my Rangers and a trailer if needed for more load. Fun car is a '13' Mustang, fast enough for strip or road course.
Trivia queston - What was the last year of the Dodge Ram?
Dave

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think that's a nice sharp looking truck but would have no practical use for me. They are like the Shelbys, hidden away and not used. I've got my Rangers and a trailer if needed for more load. Fun car is a '13' Mustang, fast enough for strip or road course.
Trivia queston - What was the last year of the Dodge Ram?
Dave
2010 or 2011 i think, silly ram brand.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals