• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do you REALLY know the rating for your roof rack?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
A roof rack that is pop rivetted to the roof of vehicle. Let's think about this for a minute. Pop rivet, come in various sizes, aluminum or steel. Roof steel IDK, 14 gauge maybe less. Cross winds and driving winds say 60 mph. I'm not an engineer or claim to have any knowledge of engineering, but saying the rack has 4 points of contact (one at each corner of the roof) and 2 rivets in each contact. I cannot image this would be any type of good contact with winds coming at the rack and trying to lift it off the roof. I would be more inclined to use 1/4-20 bolts, rather than rivets, with a plate on the inside of the roof.

Sorry just thinking about pros and cons.
The one in dispute in the videos was pretty much a solid rail on either side with multiple points for the rivets to mount to the roof. I can't say if the proper rivets were used or not but I certainly would not have chosen aluminum over steel. I would also would have used some sort of back up reinforcement like the one Ronny replaced the original one with.

In any case, the rack's off road rating was much less than what was advertised. My Rhino Racks and Thule Racks on the 2011 and 2019, respectively, both have similar weight reductions if you are running off road. The ones on my 2011 are heavy duty models. So, their rating is higher but I believe the percentage reduction from max recommended load rating are the same for both models. But the end story remains the same. If you are going to off road and use a roof rack, check to see what the limits are so you won't end up with the rack getting ripped off the roof and dumping you stuff all over the trail. Not to mention the probability damage to your roof.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals