• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do you have a specific diet for health?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
When I was younger, people went on a diet to lose weight. The word diet was always associated with weight loss.

Over the last few years, I've heard people talk about specific diets to stay healthy, with a concern about diseases and cancer. I've known people that are a specific diet, or avoid certain foods to help prevent cancer.

I have become more and more interested in the topic. Think about all the allergies and intolerance's that people have now. Different illnesses / diseases that weren't heard of years ago.

I recently watched a program on Netflix called 'The Game Changers'. They talk about a plant based diet, and avoiding actual meats. They try to make a point that man was not created to be meat eaters, how unhealthy it is for us, and how we can get our proteins from Vegetables. Numerous athletes and even Arnold Schwarzenegger follow this idea. Arnold didn't start following this until later in life.

Now I'm watching another Netflix program called 'The Magic Pill'. They discuss the ketogenic diet, which is high fat and low carb.

It seems like one contradicts the other.

Still, I do believe that the foods we eat are harming us. And some of our food is not allowed in other countries because they recognize they're harmful:

https://www.eatthis.com/american-foods-products-banned-in-other-countries/

Does anyone here think about this stuff? Do you follow a specific diet for better health?

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Rough day to start a diet thread. ;)

I'm low carb not really keto and everything in moderation.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I have known people who ate healthy, never smoked, exersized, etc and died at 52 yrs old.

Ive known others who have smoked, chewed, drank, ate every fatty greasy thing in sight, and are still kicking good at 96.

I truely believe it doesnt matter what you do or dont do, your body comes from the factory with a experation date.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My doctor says my "triglycerides" are dangerously high. I'm not suppose to eat breads, potatoes, pasta, or sugar. But apparently I can shovel as much meat down my throat as I want.... So that's my diet. Meat and the occasional vegetable.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I don’t follow a specific plan. I do prefer to eat things as minimally processed as possible. Like food that is made from food instead of a list of chemical and processed animal by products. The shorter the list of ingredients, the better as well.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Since you're in the mood for watching food documentaries... Forks over Knives and Food Inc were both really good.

Our food system is just broken... It is geared for profit. People just can't afford to eat clean healthy food... but the highly processed has something for every families grocery budget. The results are at the epidemic stage already.

If the wife had her way... we would never eat anything that had eyes... or a mother. No dairy either.

The holidays are a tough time... but it seems each year... we get closer to her way.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I got diabetes almost 4 years ago and can no longer eat all I want and what I want. Those if you who know me personally know I was never overweight, rather it just runs in my family. General rule of thumb I was given was to mentally divide your plate into fourths. 50% should be veggies, 25% protein (meat), and 25% carbs. Try to keep your carbs to around 60 grams a day and space them out evenly. I'm allowed about double that because I'm very active and was not overweight. So it depends on you. The Atkins diet was originally created for diabetics as a way to keep your blood sugar stable and thus not feel hungry and go on eating binges. I've long said what Uncle Gump did, that it's expensive to eat healthy and cheap to eat badly.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Run your tongue along the teeth inside your mouth. Feel those pointy ones? They're not there to eat plants. Feel those flat teeth? They're not there to eat meat, they're in your mouth to grind up plants and grains. We're equipped with tools to process both meat and plants for a reason. Humans have always been omnivores. Don't fight hundreds of thousands of years of evolution unless you have to for medical reasons. There is no perfect food that can supply everything we need, so you have to eat a little bit of everything.

That being said, moderation and food quality matter a great deal. Avoid processed foods. As a general rule you can do this pretty easily by only shopping on the outside of the grocery store. Center meals around a reasonable lean protein, eat as much fresh produce as you can stand. The rule for meat is that fewer legs is better. So fish is better than poultry which is better than livestock.

To stay healthy, you need vitamins and nutrients. Focus on what's in the food you eat. Celery is green and healthy looking. It actually counts as negative calories which is great if you're trying to lose weight, but its pretty much devoid of valuable nutrition too, so it's not going to provide much nutrition for your body. Starchy veggies like potatoes and corn have more drawbacks than benefits, but they're still better than cookies. Berries and leafy greens are great. In many cases, the brighter the colors, the more nutrients and vitamins.

Last edited:

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Sorry guys, I'm on the "See" diet.
I "See" food and I eat food.
Guess I'm just lucky. At 70 I eat anything I want. BP is great, cholorestal is low. I'm a meat eater, love breads, eat junk food, and could survive very happily on KFC, Chic Fil A, Big Mac's and Whoppers.
Only meds are for arthritis. Full physical every year so no surprises sneak up on me. Have never been on any kind of diet, and have been the same 180 lbs for 40 years.
Just one of those lucky ones.
Grumpaw

Last edited:

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Oh, and my wife is a great cook, loves to bake. She's still at 120 lbs she was when I met her 35 years ago, takes no meds. Not as big a snacker as I am,
but enjoys good food. She's also never been on any kind of diet.
Grumpaw

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
Sorry guys, I'm on the "See" diet.
I "See" food and I eat food.
Guess I'm just lucky. At 70 I eat anything I want. BP is great, cholorestal is low. I'm a meat eater, love breads, eat junk food, and could survive very happily on KFC, Chic Fil A, Big Mac's and Whoppers.
Only meds are for arthritis. Full physical every year so no surprises sneak up on me. Have never been on any kind of diet, and have been the same 180 lbs for 40 years.
Just one of those lucky ones.
Grumpaw

Go ahead, keep rubbing it in. I'll be lucky to make it to 70. My wife is super healthy so she'll be in for a big windfall...

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
As far as man not being a "meat eater"...
At one point we were nothing but scared little primates living on plants and living in trees. We were "pray" and limited in strength and endurance. Did not travel very far.
At some point we started eating "meat" which supplied protein for growth, brain development, muscle. Our intelligence grew, our strength grew, and our endurance grew. We were able to
get down from the trees and developed the ability to walk up right, and for long distances.
From that point, as meat eaters, everything else became "pray", and from there we went on to invent...
The Ranger !!!

But, who knows...in a few hundred thousand years we all may revert back to what was....

Grumpaw

Attachments

Last edited:

1986RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've been going to the gym for a few years now, I've gotten to the point where my deadlift sets are twice my bodyweight (155) or more. I think the idea of losing weight has become overly complicated. To lose weight you only have to be in a calorie deficit. As for diet, I stay away from fast food, limit sugary drinks, drink plenty of water, keep a decent balance and choose the healthier option. (Wheat instead of white bread.) I think there are a lot more things that could shorten your life than a slightly unhealthy diet

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
As far as man not being a "meat eater"...
At one point we were nothing but scared little primates living on plants and living in trees. We were "pray" and limited in strength and endurance. Did not travel very far.
At some point we started eating "meat" which supplied protein for growth, brain development, muscle. Our intelligence grew, our strength grew, and our endurance grew. We were able to
get down from the trees and developed the ability to walk up right, and for long distances.
From that point, as meat eaters, everything else became "pray", and from there we went on to invent...
The Ranger !!!

But, who knows...in a few hundred thousand years we all may revert back to what was....

Grumpaw

The most prevalent thoughts on this are that we developed larger brains because we started cooking food which is easier to digest than raw food. This made more energy available for larger brains. Walking upright is likely the result of reaching for fruit in the trees. Our ability to see colour is due to the need to recognize ripe fruit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals