• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do I REALLY need to find a complete explorer?

74grabber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So i currently have a explorer 5.0 engine with all front accesories on the engine stand. I also have a 1999 4.0 coil sprung ranger in the garage. What im finding in my local craigslist are boatloads of 4.0 engine explorers or 2500 dollar 5.0 explorers in the 1999-2001 year range.

From my walks in the local junkyards i see numerous almost complete explorers (but the wont sell complete at a decent price).

Is there something im missing..... would it be that much harder to just take wiring harness, computer, pats parts, exhaust, alternator wiring, fuel line, and front fan shroud???

I could see a few extra trips to junk yard for random brackets and such but it seems more cost effective this way for me.

Agree or disagree?
Just a major headache waiting to happen?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It can be done either way. Most people go into this thinking its a bolt-in swap and have no idea what they are getting into, which makes it easier to buy a whole vehicle so you have all the parts there. If that isn't going to make things easier for you, don't do it.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
If you already have all that, then yeah. You're still looking for a tranny and a few other pieces to make it work. But with the donor you can get all the accessories that Explorers have that Rangers don't. If that's what you want. Cost wise, you have the meat and potatoes, you're basically there.

74grabber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
@Ranger850
Can i get some more clarification on what you mean about getting all the accessories that explorers have that rangers dont.

Plan was for an f150 5 speed for transmission.

I guess my biggest concern is making sure i can get it to pass obdII port emmision testing and a gas cap test. Here in AZ as long as its a 99 or newer in my situation and passes the tests im good.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Accessories, like rear veiw mirror with compass, center console, bucket seats. Explorers had things that were not available on Rangers, but can be transferred

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I did my swap with a complete donor that I bought wrecked with 54k original miles on it. It is a lot easier having all the parts readily accessible, but is doable without a whole truck. You need to look at some engine swaps on the how to section here. They will provide a lot of information on what you need. I have a write up on a swap into a 98 torsion bar ranger. Fastpakr is doing a pretty much similar swap as mine.
Here is another good general article with more info.

Drspencer5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I, probably like you, also don't have the space. SO getting the nickel and dime stuff from the salvage yard is a non-issue for me, just make sure you grab the harnesses from the same truck. So the PATS, computer, and the harnesses I'll just grab from the same Exploder in the yard. Engine and accessories are easy enough to grab from another one in the event the original gets crushed. It's more valuable to me to find an engine I KNOW is running and pick up the accessories that can be grabbed from anything later.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I just got done 20 minutes ago pulling the 5.0 out of a 98 mountaineer for my 90 ranger I am also going to use a mod5r2 trans from an f150 but im holding onto the engine harness computer and entire dash setup for a newer body style swap down the road. But im using a fox body mass air harness and computer to run this setup and im doing a custom instrument panel. So really a different fuel rail will be needed or another line to the tank it looks like. let me tell you its not fun at all tearing down an exploder your better off cutting the rad support and unbolting the motor mounts, drive shafts, and the crossmembers for the transmission and yanking and pulling until you can get to the bell housing bolts

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals