• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do I need to replace cam chain adjuster ?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I finally got the 500 miles on and changed the oil, I dragged a magnet in the oil in the drain pan and didn't find any metal ? I heard it's not unusual to have some after the break-in. I unintentionally switched it to NAPAs synthetic blend not sure if that's any good so I'm going to do some research and might switch to something else on the next oil change. My part time job is delivering parts for NAPA and I get most everything ar cost. The motor is nice and quite, the only noise is a heat shield that rattles sometimes. Now I have a motor that is as good as new so if I take car of it , should out live me 😀
I think the napa gold synthetic is supposed to be the same as valvoline synthetic.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think the napa gold synthetic is supposed to be the same as valvoline synthetic.
If it is, the OP will be happy with it. I use Valvoline Synthetic a lot.

dashhho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000 SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am curious if anyone in colder climates use 0w30 or even 0w20 in the dead of winter to help cold start engine wear.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I am curious if anyone in colder climates use 0w30 or even 0w20 in the dead of winter to help cold start engine wear.
I doubt I qualify for the climate you are asking about. PA has it's own kind of cold with the humidity but it doesn't typically have the lower temperatures of further north.

I run the stock 5W-30 spec but I also have a block heater, oil pan heater, and battery blanket because I'm a mechanic in the military. Cold weather makes make me hurt. The block heater and oil pan heater make a world of difference in the length of time the engine takes to warms up. Now, the hole in my system is it works when I'm home but if I'm elsewhere, I don't benefit from it since I don't have a place to plug in.

Blackstone testing has shown that wear has been good with no concerning numbers in the 2011, 2019, and previous vehicles I've owned. Granted, I run full synthetic over pure petroleum or synthetic blend oil. So, that makes a bit of a difference.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
curious if anyone in colder climates use 0w30 or even 0w20 in the dead of winter to help cold start engine wear.
Yes, live at 9000ft elevation in the Rocky Mts; Winter is basicly 6months long, with cold morning temps down to -30f.
So my 6month oil change routine is 0w30.FullSyn each Spring & 0w20.FullSyn each Fall.
Done this several years now on both the 2001 V6~4.0L~SOHC & the 2008 V6~3.5L~DOH, without issues.
Seems to have helped get oil moving quicker & minimizes wear in the engines during cold starts.
If in a more typical milder climate, I'd use 0w30.FullSyn year round.
If in a hot climate (SoCal~Florida), I'd use 0w40.FullSyn year round.
Click here for more info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals