• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do I need to replace cam chain adjuster ?

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
You can prime the oil pump with a drill. I did it. I forget what size socket I found that fit the oil pump drive (close enough, possibly a Torx socket too), but that and a longer 1/4" extension and a drill is all I used. You have to remove the dummy cover where the distributor used to be. It still works the same way as if it had a distributor. I had my motor on a stand with the valve covers off. So I watched the cam lube lines until I got good flow. Would have liked to have had a gauge on the oil pressure port, but didn't have the correct adapter. Kinda regretting that now.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can prime the oil pump with a drill. I did it. I forget what size socket I found that fit the oil pump drive (close enough, possibly a Torx socket too), but that and a longer 1/4" extension and a drill is all I used. You have to remove the dummy cover where the distributor used to be. It still works the same way as if it had a distributor. I had my motor on a stand with the valve covers off. So I watched the cam lube lines until I got good flow. Would have liked to have had a gauge on the oil pressure port, but didn't have the correct adapter. Kinda regretting that now.
Can you drive OilPump on a V6~4.0L~SOHC with a Drill+Socket\TorxBit?
Imteresting?

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, you can.
Any possibility\thoughts of permamently installing an electric motor to drive the OilPump prior to ColdStarts as an Engine PreLubricator?
Appropriate interlocking relay controls would no doubt be needed.
Just a wild ass idea; this my be impractical compared to other ways to prelubricate.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Well my son is getting ready to pull the motor and we looked at the cam chain guides and the one I thought was bad looked fine but the one on the back wasn't visible. If I can download pictures I will show what it looks like. It worked one is of my motor and the other one is of the remanufactered motor.

Attachments

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Rear right timing guide is definitely trash. If your going to re-use\re-build that motor
replace that broken rear right cassette & also best replace front left cassette, inspect other timing components & replace as needed.
Also likely have broken plastic guide pieces scattered &\or fallen into oil pan, so drop pan & clean oil pump screen.
Either engine old or reman, renew the 2 OilPressurized TimingTensioners & rear OilSeal; consider a new OilPump.
Might as well replace junk Plastic ThermoStatHousing with a Aluminum ThermoStatHousing while you're there.

Last edited:

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
The second picture is of a remanufactered motor that is going in this weekend. I already have a new waterpump, aluminum thermostat housing, new radiator and my son ordered a new clutch because it was showing some wear. The old motor has 248000 miles, my confusion is it sounded like the front guide was the one making the noise.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I have another question, the reman motor came with the tensioners in how long can I safely run those tensioners if they are aftermarket? I don't want to take any chances but I don't have the extra money right now to replace them. How can I tell who made the tensioners ?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have another question, the reman motor came with the tensioners in how long can I safely run those tensioners if they are aftermarket? I don't want to take any chances but I don't have the extra money right now to replace them. How can I tell who made the tensioners ?
I'd run them until preventative 70,000 miles time change or you start getting a chain rattle at start up. They in there, aren't leaking, and aren't give you a problem right now. So, why change them?

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Just a update, my remanufactered motor is in and working on the 500 mile break-in. Got a part time job and commute is only about 8 blocks so it will take a while to get to the 500 mile point. Nice and quiet at startup and no oil leaks. 😀

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
Why don't you pull the tensioners you bought for the old motor and swap them out with the new motor. Those were Ford products, correct?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Just a update, my remanufactered motor is in and working on the 500 mile break-in. Got a part time job and commute is only about 8 blocks so it will take a while to get to the 500 mile point. Nice and quiet at startup and no oil leaks. 😀
Take it on some 30+ minute highway runs. During break in you shouldn't be only doing short little stop and go trips, it's very hard on the engine.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Make sure you make some highway drives somewhere too. It's best if you can vary the speed as much as possible during break in. So, local driving is fine but get some highway driving in there as well.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Why don't you pull the tensioners you bought for the old motor and swap them out with the new motor. Those were Ford products, correct?
I asked the same question in a post earlier and sgtsandman said it wasn't necessary so I will change them in 70000 miles or when I hear a rattle at startup. I might change them earlier just for piece of mind.
For the 2 telling me to drive at highway speeds, I have taken it out for 1/2 hour or 45 minute drives were I going 50 - 60 miles an hour. My commute to work is only 8 tenths of a mile so it doesn't help any.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I finally got the 500 miles on and changed the oil, I dragged a magnet in the oil in the drain pan and didn't find any metal ? I heard it's not unusual to have some after the break-in. I unintentionally switched it to NAPAs synthetic blend not sure if that's any good so I'm going to do some research and might switch to something else on the next oil change. My part time job is delivering parts for NAPA and I get most everything ar cost. The motor is nice and quite, the only noise is a heat shield that rattles sometimes. Now I have a motor that is as good as new so if I take car of it , should out live me 😀

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals