• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do I need more amperage?

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just got me a push bar with some lights included from the wrecking yard I work at. I was wondering if I need to get a higher wattage alternator to keep up with the demand of (hypothetically/if needed) running fogs, h.i.d. heads, the new floods, and the usual electronic drain (stereo etc...). If I do need to get a bigger one, what wattage will be sufficient?

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No helpy? : ( Helpy now! : )

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Alternators are usually rating in amps. If you know how much current (amps) each device draws, just add them together and see what you come up with. You should get an alternator that's at least 1/3 bigger than your maximum draw.

If you don't know the current for a device, but you know the power (watts) you can divide the watts by 12 to get the current for that device.

Let me know what you find,
Spott

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
hids use about 2 amps or less, fogs are nothing, if you notice your lights dimming when you come to a stop, upgrade. if not your good.

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Spott and 06RangerXLT. I didn't know lights were so low in amperage. I probably shouldn't have to worry about it. Although, sometimes, when I have my heads on and turn the blower up full blast, my charging gauge takes a dive to about twelve volts or so. This is at idle. As soon as I start going, the needle shoots back up to around fourteen volts. Not sure if this is normal. It doesn't happen all the time.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Spott and 06RangerXLT. I didn't know lights were so low in amperage. I probably shouldn't have to worry about it. Although, sometimes, when I have my heads on and turn the blower up full blast, my charging gauge takes a dive to about twelve volts or so. This is at idle. As soon as I start going, the needle shoots back up to around fourteen volts. Not sure if this is normal. It doesn't happen all the time.
12 volts is still suitable. its when it hits like 8-9 volts, that you wanna watch out. if you have a hard time starting the truck, you could try a better battery, but it sounds like the alternator is doing itf job when you get back up to speed.
:icon_cheers:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
12 volts is still suitable. its when it hits like 8-9 volts, that you wanna watch out. if you have a hard time starting the truck, you could try a better battery, but it sounds like the alternator is doing itf job when you get back up to speed.
:icon_cheers:

12 volts IS NOT GOOD! At that voltage, the battery is being discharged!!

But what do you expect from somebody that thinks e-fans are good!! :headbang::headbang:

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A fully charged battery is ideally 12.6 volts. With the engine running, the voltage should ideally be 13.8 volts, under all conditions. But we don't live in an ideal world...we live in the real world.

I'd double-check the voltages with something more precise than the dashboard voltmeter, before you jump to any conclusions.

Spott

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
A fully charged battery is ideally 12.6 volts. With the engine running, the voltage should ideally be 13.8 volts, under all conditions. But we don't live in an ideal world...we live in the real world.

I'd double-check the voltages with something more precise than the dashboard voltmeter, before you jump to any conclusions.

Spott

A drop of 2V on his meter is a good indication he is measuring the battery voltage, which is then in the discharging state.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals