• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do I buy this Ranger?? Educate me please!!

Thuddles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
?
Make / Model
?
Transmission
Manual
Whats up everyone! I have the option to buy an early ford ranger i believe 83. It was supposedly used as a Forest Ranger truck, the odometer is pushing 200k, and the standard transmission just went out. i think its 4x4 too...

Whats it worth?
Do i even bother?
Is this a good model year?
Pro's Cons of early model ranger ownership?
Whats it gonna cost to replace a transmission?
Is there costly maintenance thats required?
Educate me please!!!

I'm looking for a small work truck that i can use to go to the hardware store and small hauling jobs. Not looking for a daily driver, just want something I can rely on when i need it and be able to work on it if something needs replacing... Thanks for any and all help.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I'm guessing it has the 2.8L V6. They're pretty reliable trucks. They have a timing gear instead of a chain.

The only real issue is the TFI modules can go bad, and the rubber valve seals wear out. The seals are easy to replace without removing the heads if you use some compressed air in the cylinder. TFI is just a small plug in module. Some people convert the to an earlier duraspark ignition. This is all in our tech library.

Not sure on the cost of swapping out the transmission.

If I was looking for a small cheap reliable truck that was easy to work on, I'd definitely buy one. You don't have to deal with all the aging computer crap and fuel injection.

Thuddles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
?
Make / Model
?
Transmission
Manual
what would you say it's worth? I'm mechanically inclined but i would have to pay for the transmission rebuild.

is 200k a ton or just moderate?? what do people normally get out of these? I'm being told this thing was babied since it was just cruising at 15mph on fire roads for most its life

Thuddles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
?
Make / Model
?
Transmission
Manual
and TFI models?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
83 is the first model year of the ranger. Very simple truck to work on. Price is entirely dependent on its condition. Anywhere from a few hundred bucks for a beat up rust bucket, to 5,000 or more for one in mint condition. Impossible to give a reasonable price estimate without seeing it. 200k is alot of miles but if it was maintained well it really doesn't matter much. With a bad transmission price should definitely reflect that. The cheapest way to remedy that would be to buy a good used transmission instead of paying for a rebuild.

The tfi module is the ignition module. They are easy to replace and not very expensive. Or like jim said, just ditch it for a duraspark ignition which is more reliable.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Southern California? Probably not much rust. As mentioned above, its hard to say without pictures and more details. Probably a good deal if you can get it for $1,000 or less. But thats a wild guess based on my own preferences. I don’t know the market out there.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I disagree with some of the comments above. I have a 1984 with the 2.8 v6, it will be just like the 83 you are looking at. While it has a carb on that engine, the control system is very complex. Tons of vacuum lines, solenoids and wires along with a computer. That is what the TFI module is they are talking about. The TFI module is the ignition module that is used all the way up through and in the fuel injection models. The truck you are looking at is almost like fuel injection, except it has a carb. If you get your head around this system, you can work on it. But parts are getting very difficult to find.

But, there is a way out. Many people do a conversion, I did it to mine. I bought my 84 about 2 years ago, I have been driving it about a year. When I first got it on the road it drove ok, not a lot of power, and when it would warm up it would start miss-firing at idle. I found out for some reason the computer was advancing the timing too much. I went and checked the codes on the computer, I had so many codes in there it was not worth it to me to trace down and spend a bunch of money on sensors and try to trace a bad spot in a wire somewhere. I found out you can convert these engines to a conventional ignition system and get rid of all that computer stuff and all that wiring.

If you get this truck, I would be prepared to do this conversion if it gives you trouble. All you need is a distributor out of a late 70's mustang II or a pinto with a 2.8 v6. Get a module to drive that distributor, and you are golden. You can then take all that stuff off the engine, you can actually get to it to change the sparkplugs and pull the valve covers.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
If you are gonna keep the truck I would bite the bullet and get the transmission rebuilt. pulling it out of the truck yourself will save about $500 in R&R. Still it will run about $1k give or take for a full rebuild, depending on parts.

Not sure where is socal you are but I really good (as in honest, savvy, and fair) transmission guy here in sun valley.

Other than that you can take a gamble and get a junkyard unit for about $350-$500. May run forever, may crap out, or may run forever but crappy...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you get this truck, I would be prepared to do this conversion if it gives you trouble. All you need is a distributor out of a late 70's mustang II or a pinto with a 2.8 v6. Get a module to drive that distributor, and you are golden. You can then take all that stuff off the engine, you can actually get to it to change the sparkplugs and pull the valve covers.
He's in CA... I'm just assuming that a Duraspark swap is going to make it fail emissions. That is really the ONE thing I'd be hesitant about buying this particular truck... keeping all of the feedback carb junk intact and working correctly.

What's it worth? I've been buying trucks in similar condition for less than $200 for years. If you can hear it run and it runs good/no smoke I'd pay a little more for it.

Just keep in mind that drivetrain parts are going to be hard to find, be prepared for that. For those of us who can do engine swaps and stuff it's a moot point but it can be a huge headache for those who can't.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Good point Shran. SMOG checks is a PITA here in CA. Cant even change the air intake unless its CARB approved, and even then some stations (that have probably been busted in the past) will give you a hard time about any CARB legal mods.

Some folks are lucky enough to own property in AZ or NV for out of state plates and avoid CA emissions.

Other than that its gotta be pre '76 to be exempt.

There used to be dirty smog guys that would pass you for an extra c-note, but they cracked down on that a few years ago, now it costs major bucks, if you can even find a tech willing to risk his license.

I wish I could do engine swaps and still get dmv tags. There would be a coyote in my ranger.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Why cant you just register your truck with the FAA instead of the DMV to avoid smog inspection? Afterall, a truck is just a really bad airplane...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Why cant you just register your truck with the FAA instead of the DMV to avoid smog inspection? Afterall, a truck is just a really bad airplane...
Even more fees and politics....plus I think require proof of having a hangar. Its easier just to register it out of state.

If Ford made an airplane, would you fly in it?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Even more fees and politics....plus I think require proof of having a hangar. Its easier just to register it out of state.

Heck yeah!!

BDB54A03-D78B-4C1C-8063-91EA07A10FB3.jpeg

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Id rather fly in a ford airplane than a boeing 777....

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
You sure about that mileage? First gen odometers only went up to 99,999.9, than they rolled over.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals