• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do I buy this Ranger?? Educate me please!!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Blue is blue unless its green.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
I got to see one up close and crawl around in it at the mighty 8th museum in Savannah. Seeing one flying is way different then looking at one close up. Flying, they are beautiful machines. Up close you wonder how the hell it even gets off the ground. Its just a puzzle of randomly riveted together poorly fit patch panels. Parts and controls just welded or bolted crudely back together. Repairs I wouldn't even do to a geo metro...

But the things were basically indestructable. They could fly with 3 engines blown off, missing noses or chunks of the wings. Remarkable planes if for nothing else but their ability survive practically any damage and still make it home. I think only the A-10 is even close to the toughness of a B-17.

Imagine being able to take this much damage and still fly home and land.

View attachment 44789

View attachment 44792
B-17s and A-10s are remarkable aircraft.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Ok he said he's not sure on the milage, thanks for the help guys, he only wants a few 100 bucks and its been in the family for a while so i think i'll go through with it.

I think i still know a guy that will be able to pass smog so i might just go through with the conversion anyway!!
If you did the conversion, you could use a GM HEI module like I did and hide it somewhere. Leave all that junk on the engine. Use the original carb if it runs good (that is what I am doing) with the original aircleaner. Unless he is really a smart cookie, I am not sure he could tell that it has been converted.

On the transmission; I found out the early trucks and BII's used a oddball setup. They had an external slave setup for the clutch. They only used this just the first few years. And they also used either a Toyo Koygo 4 speed or 5 speed. I bought mine with a bad Toyo Koygo 5 speed. I was going to rebuild it, but parts are few and far between. You can find them if you go to ebay and places like that. It's very difficult to find good used ones. What I did was take the 5 speed out of my 86 ranger and used it. I had to use the 2.9 flywheel and clutch setup on the 2.8, but once I transferred all that over, it bolted up and is working fine. The hole in the floorboard lined up, the original driveshafts bolted up, it all fit. The 86 had a Mitsubishi FM 145 5 speed in it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals