• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do all TKs whine?

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I currently have a TK 5-speed in my '87 Ranger and prior had one in an '86. Both of them sound the same. They whine, whistle, whur, zing. They just make all sorts of noise. They both shift fine. So is it just a normal thing for a Toyo Kogyo? The '86 had atf in it when I got it and it made some serious noise until I switched it back to gear oil. The '86 had 260K miles on it so I expected it to make some noise but my '87 has 170K, i thought it would be quieter.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Do they whine in 4th?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ive had a few TKs and the only noise i ever got was that "errrrrrrrr" when going fast in reverse.

Mike Tonon

My dad bought an 87 with the TK5, new and I had it for years after him and it ALWAYS whined. Not like a Model A transmission, but something in between that and a newer Ranger manual. Never had major issues with it. It had a tiny leak near the driveshaft end, but over several years time, I never had to add fluid. I sold the truck after about 21 years and 185,000 miles. I kind of liked the whine, it had character! ? like driving around the parking lot, it’d go, “werrrrrrrrRRR...” then I’d let off the gas and it’d go, “wer wer wer”.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
They whine all the time. They both do the deal in parking lots and when you're coasting. I do like that noise as long as it's nothing too serious. They seemed to be loudest in 5th gear. That's when it turns into sort of a high pitched annoying whistle. I'm guessing maybe the input shaft bearing is causing most of it but I don't know why it would change pitch through the gears. It whines in neutral with the clutch out but if you mash it in it stops. I think that means input bearing. I think throw out bearing would make noise with clutch in then stop when it's out.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In a modern manual transmission ALL the gears are meshed all the time

Diagram here: https://s.hswstatic.com/gif/transmission-5speed-gears.gif

Green shaft spins at engine RPMs, it spins the red shaft that has "the gears", which spins the Blue "gears" even Reverse

In the drawing the transmission is in Neutral
The three Purple "dog gears" are always connected to the Yellow output shaft

The shifter moves the dog gears to engage say 1st gear, the dog gears are where "syncro-mesh" is used, as the dog gear slides into 1st gear the syncro slows down or speed up 1st gear to match the RPM of the dog gear
The clutch disengages engine RPMs which allows 1st gear to speed up or slow down, to match dog gear RPMs, which might be 0 RPMs if vehicle is stopped.

So gears spin at Engine RPMs only, even in Neutral
The dog gears and output shaft spin at vehicle speed RPMs, drive shaft RPMs

So it REVing the engine changes "whining" sound then its caused by input shaft or gears.

If SPEED changes the whining sound then its output shaft related

Yes, it could be the Mesh on one gear that's making most of the noise, so when using that gear noise would change

Helical gears(angle cut) are quieter than straight cut, but helical gears also put forward and backward thrust on the shafts, so stronger thrust bearings and trans cases are needed

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
Then it could be a more serious internal problem. These should be fully synchronized transmissions but with both of them you basically have to stop to go back to 1st gear. I thought about an m5od swap but I've broken those transmissions with a stock 2.3 and I've seen countless ones that grenaded after all the atf leaked out. In my opinion the TK is the stronger of the two. I've never rebuilt a transmission before but I might look into how hard it would be.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
FWIW, "TK" stands for Toyo Kogyo... AKA Mazda. Those old 4 and 5 speeds were made by the same company that built the M5OD.

I have only seen a couple broken M5ODs and I will concede that I have never seen a broken TK or FM-xxx trans however I have seen PLENTY that were just straight up worn out. They are ALL light duty transmissions. I know the M5's have their leaky shift rail plug reputation but that doesn't make them junk, it just means there was a minor issue that a lot of people ignore. You could lose a seal in any mechanical device and destroy it when the oil is gone.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Back in the old days of TRS the old time tranny guys pretty much conceded that in order of strength...

1- M5OD.
2- TK 4/5.
3- Mitsu FM's.

I like the TK for the fact its got a 3.96:1 1st.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If nothing else, getting away from the ball bearings of the TK/FM transmissions is a step forward.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals