• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do 2005 taillights fit on a 99?

Saxwing1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3” with torsion crank
Tire Size
33x12.5
Hey I got a 99ford ranger that I did a 2005 front end swap on and I was gonna get the 2005 tail lights ordered but wasn’t sure if they fit or work.
F43CFD2C-BFB8-42D7-9D48-DBCDBCD5AC75.jpeg

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The '05 lenses will physically fit the tail light openings on your bed, however your '99 has 3-bulb tails w/amber turn signals, whereas '05 is just 2-bulb.
I'd suggest you keep your 3-bulb tails from a safety standpoint because it is FAR easier & quicker to see an amber blinker in traffic vs. a red blinker that can easily blend into a sea of brake lights & tail lights (not sure why automakers (not just Ford) stupidly started moving away from amber signals around '00, but lately I've been seeing them slowly return, which is only a good thing).

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The '05 lenses will physically fit the tail light openings on your bed, however your '99 has 3-bulb tails w/amber turn signals, whereas '05 is just 2-bulb.
I'd suggest you keep your 3-bulb tails from a safety standpoint because it is FAR easier & quicker to see an amber blinker in traffic vs. a red blinker that can easily blend into a sea of brake lights & tail lights (not sure why automakers (not just Ford) stupidly started moving away from amber signals around '00, but lately I've been seeing them slowly return, which is only a good thing).
There is a very good reason amber lights were no longer used on the rear of vehicles and it has to do with being able to determine the direction a vehicle is traveling in low visibility.

If your in the dark, and its foggy and you see white lights up ahead you can safely assume the vehicle is moving towards you since you are seeing headlights or backup lights. If you see red lights you can safely assume the vehicle is moving away from you since you are seeing tail lights. Same for the marker/turn lights, if the signal is orange the vehicle is facing you, if the signal is red the vehicle is facing away from you. If both front and rear turn signals are orange you can't tell which way the vehicle is facing.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I don't think I've ever once questioned which way a vehicle is traveling based on it's turn signals (and I've driven in fog many many times in my 30+ years of driving)... If I see bright white + amber lights, I know a vehicle is facing toward me. If I see red lights (whether accompanied by an amber signal or not), then I know the vehicle is facing away from me (you should never see red lights on a vehicle facing toward you, unless it's an emergency vehicle).

Meanwhile, I've not noticed a red blinker until the 2nd or 3rd blink on more than one occasion, whereas an amber one is nearly always noticeable right away 1st blink.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Hey I'm just explaining the reasoning not the practical application. :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals