• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DNR delays off-road vehicle stickers -ILLINOIS

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
SPRINGFIELD -- A plan to require special permits for most all-terrain vehicles in Illinois has been scuttled amid concerns that the program wasn't ready for prime time.

The Illinois Department of Natural Resources announced this week it would not require off-highway vehicle owners to purchase the $15 stamp until further notice.

The last-minute delay is designed to give lawmakers time to consider tweaking the law to clarify who has to buy the permits.

“This is a good-faith move on our part to make sure all the rules are in place before OHV riders are required to purchase a stamp,” DNR chief Marc Miller said.

The new fee for all-terrain vehicles was approved by lawmakers last year and was set to go into effect April 1.

The law had called for the department to begin selling the permits on Jan. 1, but agency spokesman Chris Young said no stamps were issued.

The law had caused confusion because it exempted some types of off-road vehicles but not others.

For example, while John Deere Gator-type vehicles used on farms were not required to have permits, similar vehicles used for hunting or trail riding, including certain types of motorcycles, were covered under the law.

The law also covered golf carts used in certain types of situations, but DNR had written rules designed to exempt them from the permitting system.

Money from the program, combined with an estimated $1 million in federal matching grants, was tentatively earmarked to develop parks and trails for use by off-highway vehicles. Unlike other states, Illinois does not have a designated riding park.

Miller said the delay will allow officials to better develop a plan to build a trail system.

“We also will use this time to seek additional public input as we begin to develop an off-highway riding program in Illinois," he said.

State Rep. Frank Mautino, D-Spring Valley, said he supports the delay because of the confusion and the need to offer riders a place to use their machines.

"There should be a closer tie to having a sticker and having access to a public area to ride," said Mautino, who sponsored the original law.

It remains unclear how long the delay will last.
How about INDEFINITELY!

F'em! Get ready to pay the state $15.00 for just owning a ATV still no where to ride it (legally, but who does that?) Funny, people around here ride on the local PRIVATE trails, use public roads to get there, and have a 24 pack strapped to the ATV rack along with a pre-ban gas can! Stupid law that will not be enforced, unless your at a "public" ATV trail. If they can't keep Illegal ATV traffic off the roads, WTF is this sticker going to do?:icon_confused:

Exception from display of Off-Highway Vehicle
Usage Stamps. The operator of an off-highway vehicle shall not
be required to display an Off-Highway Vehicle Usage Stamp if
the off-highway vehicle is:
(1) owned and used by the United States, the State of
Illinois, another state, or a political subdivision
thereof, but these off-highway vehicles shall prominently
display the name of the owner on the off-highway vehicle;
(2) operated on lands where the owner permanently
resides; this exception shall not apply to
clubs,
associations, lands leased for hunting or recreational
purposes, or to off-highway vehicles being used by
outfitters as defined in the Wildlife Code as part of their
outfitting business;
BULL SHEEEOT!

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
kinda like having to have a sticker for an intertube on the river

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have heard scuttlebut in Iowa that if you use a farm registered (non registered) atv for hunting you can get fined out the wazoo too even on private land.

I am fine with it in parks, it might help make sure everybody has insurance in case they bump into each other... but after I feed the deer all year long I don't think the state deserves another $15 or whatever so I don't have to backpack it out if I have a four wheeler sitting there for some other purpose.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have heard scuttlebut in Iowa that if you use a farm registered (non registered) atv for hunting you can get fined out the wazoo too even on private land.

I am fine with it in parks, it might help make sure everybody has insurance in case they bump into each other... but after I feed the deer all year long I don't think the state deserves another $15 or whatever so I don't have to backpack it out if I have a four wheeler sitting there for some other purpose.
ATV riders already have to have a il sticker to ride in atv parks. There is no ATV trails in IL to ride one, all the money will go to enforcement and the balance of the funds will be siphoned off for something else. The next thing they will want to do is charge $15.00 a year for me to ride my zero turn to mow my yard.

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
Illinois is broke and can't pay their bills. so they are trying everything they can to get more money out of us. They are even talking about raising our income taxes again. ughhhhh

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Illinois is broke and can't pay their bills. so they are trying everything they can to get more money out of us. They are even talking about raising our income taxes again. ughhhhh
Really? That is terrible, at least they trust us to be honest with the 'use tax' lol.

OMG:
Currently the state constitution has an amendment that stipulates that the state will only have an across the board flat tax for everyone. It won't be higher for some and lower for others as a graduated tax is. Those who wrote this measure in the constitution put it into law because they felt that a flat tax would help small businesses and give the state's tax structure some stability. Now, Democrats want to throw that stability to the four winds.

To sell the idea, Democrats are pretending that this progressive income tax would only hit "the rich," but right at the outset this is a lie. Several proposals show that it would hit everyone right at the beginning.

Let's recall that the "temporary" 67 percent tax hike that hit citizens is scheduled to begin a sunset early in 2015. The tax rate would go from the current 5 percent down to 3.75 percent (and to 3.25 by 2025). That was the deal that Democrats made in their middle-of-the-night-vote that raised taxes in 2011.

But now Democrats want to welsh on that deal and change the constitution to add a graduated tax that would permanently raise taxes on everyone--even the middle class they claim they aren't raising taxes on.

Granted the measure the Democrats want to put on the ballot doesn't mention what rates they are proposing. All they want Illinois voters to do is to OK the end of the flat tax and give them the ability to institute a graduated tax. This ballot measure would give this new taxing power to the very politicians that have turned the state into the worst debtor state in the nation, because, you know, Illinois Democrats always need more money to spend.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
welcome to Illinois where our governors make our license plates

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The next thing they will want to do is charge $15.00 a year for me to ride my zero turn to mow my yard.
And then if you can't pay that they will fine your not mowing your grass. :icon_idea:

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And then if you can't pay that they will fine your not mowing your grass. :icon_idea:
YOU mowing YOUR OWN grass will take away UNION JOBS, meaning that sooner or later U won't be able to mow your own grass and U will HAVE to hire a "professional lawn care person" (UNION run of course) or get youself certified to run the mower, join the UNION and pay UNION DUES. Welcome to the progressive nation. :thefinger: Think it won't happen? Don't give them any ideas.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am so, so happy to have moved out of Ill Anoys years ago. Four governor doing/done time, state broke and then hear the Jessie Jackson Jr. came down with a sudden disability just before his trial for "borrowing" from his campaign fund. Only getting $8500 a month for "disability" while doing his time. Taxes out of hand, just crazy.
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
YOU mowing YOUR OWN grass will take away UNION JOBS, meaning that sooner or later U won't be able to mow your own grass and U will HAVE to hire a "professional lawn care person" (UNION run of course) or get youself certified to run the mower, join the UNION and pay UNION DUES. Welcome to the progressive nation. :thefinger: Think it won't happen? Don't give them any ideas.
I know in my hometown if it gets too tall the city will hastily hack it down and send you a bill for it.

I mow half my yard with a bush hog and a tractor. Not really "the yard" but a lot off to the side of my yard. It can get to be taller than the hood, it is funner to mow that way. :icon_twisted:

Last edited:

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know in my hometown if it gets too tall the city will hastily hack it down and send you a bill for it.

I mow half my yard with a bush hog and a tractor. Not really "the yard" but a lot off to the side of my yard. It can get to be taller than the hood, it is funner to mow that way. :icon_twisted:
I have neighbors who let their lawn grow about two feet high and then fence in their sheep around their house for a week or two and let them chew it down. The sheep sleep on the porch and do their business everywhere...nice :icon_rofl:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have neighbors who let their lawn grow about two feet high and then fence in their sheep around their house for a week or two and let them chew it down. The sheep sleep on the porch and do their business everywhere...nice :icon_rofl:
The previous owners of my house actually did that with permenant fence in front of the house, I ripped that out. It looked like crap IMO.

My jungle is well off to the side so the yard looks nice between the house and road.

Neighbors are well over half a mile away, if it bothers them they can just drive by faster for all I care.:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The previous owners of my house actually did that with permenant fence in front of the house, I ripped that out. It looked like crap IMO.

My jungle is well off to the side so the yard looks nice between the house and road.

Neighbors are well over half a mile away, if it bothers them they can just drive by faster for all I care.:icon_thumby:
Yeah my neighbors are a half mile either side of me too...nice!:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals