• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DJM 4/5 and tire fitment advice

JustPlaneChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Hi good TRS folks!

I'm in the middle of a 'resto-mod' of my 98 B4000, and just purchased wheels and tires for it. They're getting installed today! :yahoo:

I chose a 235/50-18 tire for it, since that gave me the closest match to stock diameter.

My plan was a mild drop using the DJM 2/3 kit, but now that I've done more reading about that one it seems like it'll have a crappy ride, bad suspension geometry, and possibly sit low in the back. I don't want ANY of those things. :annoyed:

So, I started looking at the 4/5 kit. Honestly, it looks "too low" to my eye, I admit I'm one who never really liked the slammed minitruck look. (sorry, don't mean to offend, just my opinion). But, I figured since it gets good reviews about the ride, alignment, and rake, it might be doable.

Then I read a post in another forum where someone had bad tire rubbing issues in the front with the exact size tire I've purchased. That's a no-go for me!

So that brings me right back to square one. I guess my choices are:

1. Leave the stock suspension height and just install good sway bars and shocks
2. Try my luck with the 2/3 kit and see if it has all the issues I've read about
3. Try my luck with the 4/5 kit and see if my tires rub

Any advice guys?:dunno:

Last edited:

airbourneranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Tire Size
245/45-18 & 275/40-18
My credo
Tighten it until it snaps then back off a 1/4 turn
This is from another site but it's a 2010 with a 4/5 running 18's. I think it looks killer

Attachments

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I wanted to keep my truck as simple as possible. On the rear, I did a simple shackle flip. The drop was about 2-1/2 inches. I also added a rear sway bar.

The 16-inch rims are from a 2005 FX4 Ranger. 225/60R16 match the original 225/70R14 very close.

To lower the front, I use coils from a Splash Ranger. NOT all Splash Rangers are the same. The Spring code in the door must be KK.
The front drop will be 1-inch and the truck will be level. I have not been able to find these coils in the aftermarket. Truck will need to be aligned.

The truck sits level and in my opinion it doesn't look too bad.

airbourneranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Tire Size
245/45-18 & 275/40-18
My credo
Tighten it until it snaps then back off a 1/4 turn
Hey Ranger SVO, lookin good

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals