• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DIY Pillar Pod

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is for everyone like me who is happy with the appearance of the factory dash and yet dissatisfied with the accuracy of the idiot lights. In my case, I no longer have idiot lights after I swapped a 4.0 in my Bronco II but I never liked them to begin with. Also, the Bronco II really doesn't have a place to mount a gauge pod on the dash that would look clean.

Enough bs here we go. Buy a $16 ebay universal triple gauge pod. These are made for newer vehicles with wider a pillars. Mine hit the windshield and went out the door when I lined it up. That's fine we're only buying it for the pods.

Cut the individual pods out and shape the edges to fit. I used a dremel cutoff and a coarse file. Once you fit the pods to the a pillar you can use a soldering iron to melt them to the factory a pillar.

After the pods are melted into the a pillar you should reinforce the joints. You'll probably have filler work to do anyway so I used the quick setting JB weld after sanding with 60 grit to give it some tooth. Mix it up and smear it in the seams.

Now you can sand the JB weld down and the pods will be plenty strong. I still have to do the final finish on mine but the hard part is over. I'd recommend a skim coat of body filler after sanding with 60 grit, sand the body filler with 80 grit, soak it in rattle can high build, and sand it smooth with 400 before painting it with spray paint.

I plan on cutting the back of mine out so I can wire my gauges and have access to the hardware. Maybe someone will have a different idea but this should work pretty well and look good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals