• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DIY paint jobs questions.

RangerRyan

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0l,2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I am looking into how to paint a car. I really hate the rattle can tan on my bronco. Don't mind the tan but it just looks ugly in my opinion. Also paint is pealing off the hood of my truck. So I've looked this up and I know I need a paint gun, an air compressor, a lot of sand paper, primer, base, and clear coats. I know for a good paint job it's a lot of sanding and making sure everything is perfect. I think I'll do okay because some things I'm really OCD about. Does anyone know a good write up on this?(the one on the tech library isn't working) and any first time painters have pics of there projects?
(also the paint job on my bronco is a 10 foot paint job, it looks bad up close)

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Get a paint gun from Harbor Freight. They are cheap and work great. Then pick up some paint and go youtube some videos. There are several specific to the purple Harbor Freight gun.

RangerRyan

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0l,2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I think I was going to start small with my hood. I can't make it worse then it already is and I was going to keep on doing it over till i have the hang of it.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Here's my first real paint job.

Its all about the prep. Take you time and make sure everything is perfect before you pick up the gun.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
A good HVLP gun with a water filter. strip it down to good paint or metal and use a two part sanding primer and a flat board to do any filler once you get the smooth surface for the top coat use the thinner for the paint your using to degrease the surface prior to painting. You want a steady temp all through the coating until the paint has gassed of and follow the paint manufactures recommendations exactly all the way through the clear coat you cant stop painting until the final coat is on. use a similar material to adjust your gun and many light coats are better than one heavy one. Curing times are criticle between coats dont let it fully cure between coats and keep it above 70 degrees. Using a tacker coat helps alot for runs mist the entire surface with paint first and let that cure for a bit before applying the first coat. If you get bugs just let the be and pick them off after the initial cure and the paint loses it tack. It is 95% prep so do all the research on the coating your gonna use get all the materials together. I prefer a good single stage paint over a two part epoxy primer but do the research first will save you alot of time and money. If you use a clear coat follow the directions exactly or you wont be happy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals