• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DIY maintenance

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
A lot of guys do that.
I use it (waste motor oil) in my fuel tank.

And a quart of lucas instead of bar and chain in the crank case.

I think the car and chain guy meant he used bar and chain as an additive.

Only thing I would do to an eb is a catch can....they will run as long as anything.

They are low speed, and programmed specifically for idiots to use them. The inferred logic is epic.

The 2.3 is a beast...like mentioned based on the Mazda L and awesome. If you had a Mazda 3...2.0 or 2.5....can't see how you could not like the Mazda platform. And I am a V8 guy.

Define diy maintenance? Because it pretty deep around here.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I use waist motor oil in my saws.

Now we've come full circle.

You have them suck the beer storage cells out of your belly and waste beer lube on you saw!?!?!?

Evil.....pure diabolicle evilz.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Here's my take on oil...

The fancy nerds at the oil companies who do nothing but study oil have went ahead and made all different types of oils based on their specific uses, then they were nice enough to put a label on those oils so us mortals can decipher their purpose. You don't need to wonder if chainsaw oil would work better in your motor than motor oil because those clever engineers already figured it out for us and that's why they labeled them the way they did.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Not to mention the manufacturer has done the work (theoretically) on what works best for their product.

If I remember correctly, bar and chain oil is just 30 weight oil with an additive to make it cling and minimize fling.

I can see the theory on using used motor oil on a chain saw but it is going to messy. ATF, I think would be too thin.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I have different bar and chain oil for summer and winter, summer oil won't flow in the cold and winter oil runs like water in hot weather.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
You have to crank the bar oil delivery back to use ATF, and yeah you go through more of it for sure. Makes the sawdust a lovely shade of red ;)

Sidewalk

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fiesta
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
185/55-15
My credo
#DontFollowJosh
Guess I missed a notification here somewhere...

TL;DR: I took the Bronco off my list.

Still considering options, but one of them is a stripped down Jeep JLU (space for my bike inside). The idea of having a much simpler vehicle appeals to me. No turbo, no power windows, solid axle, etc. Millions of parts you can buy for them if I want to change things later if I really want to. Port injection is nice too. This vehicle purchase will be for a do all utility vehicle, not necessarily a trail rig which is why it's also competing with a Subaru Crosstrek. I wish Subaru had more manual options, also wish the Ridgeline had a manual option.

As for oil, the Fiesta didn't burn a drop with 10,000 mile oil changes. My ex's F150 has 200,000+ miles on the 4.6 with 5w-20 and we beat that thing well (the mirror is still taped on after a cow broke it off). I'm not worried about out smarting people with PhD after their names (tends to be the dumbest people who think they can) who design all this stuff.

As for "maintenance", in my mind that is stuff that you would find listed under "maintenance" in your manual. When you open your owners manual there is a whole list of stuff for you to maintain and how and when to do it. I just did the glow plugs and up pipes in my 7.3 Powerstroke van (that sucked), those are technically not maintenance items so I wasn't concerned with that. But the belt is and that's a pretty simple swap. Likewise, timing belts are a maintenance item and on the Fiesta it was easy, on the PT Loser my ex had it was easier to pull the engine to change the belt, which is rediculous. So, DIY maintenance is stuff you normally need to do to keep your vehicle running, repairs are a separate category.

Old turbos were known for "coking" the bearings. After driving hard the turbine would be hot and the sudden stop in oil flow would break down the oil in the bearings from heat soak. It was mostly solved by installing a coolant passage around the bearing to help manage temperatures better. Even still, I never hot shut down my Powerstroke, I always do a cool down if I was doing highway driving. But at 300,000+ miles who knows how badly it was abused and I don't have the resources right now to pull the body off to rebuild the engine, as I am homeless. I'm not worried about the engine failing any time soon though so I just have to keep up with random failures as I find them, most of which I can do anywhere.

Still undecided, I am trying to convince myself to wait for my final settlement before purchasing anything, but I probably won't wait as I want to dig into my van more and will need another vehicle for getting me out on the trails for running and biking (ultra distance runner and race MTB as a pro). I've decided I don't need a horse trailer tow vehicle as my horse is too old now to travel with, he's just a big dog now.

Unfortunately, the options for vehicles with a manual transmission are limited, and it sucks. Hoping this next buy will be my last (and only second) new vehicle. Alternatively, I could buy a beater and dump an ass load of money into my van...

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I don't know about the other ecoboost engines but the 2.3 in the Ranger calls for 5W-30 and of course, Recommends their synthetic blend.
I got a new-to-me 2020 Ranger today and it calls for 5w-30.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I got a new-to-me 2020 Ranger today and it calls for 5w-30.
You get an attaboy for checking and a gold star if you read the manual, too. I've never talked to anyone who bought the new Ranger and didn't like it, enjoy your truck.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
does the ford have a real manual still? Ive heard of some new vehicles (dodge?) coming with a dvd manual, I wouldnt even bother with that, Id just look up online whatever Id need to know.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
does the ford have a real manual still? Ive heard of some new vehicles (dodge?) coming with a dvd manual, I wouldnt even bother with that, Id just look up online whatever Id need to know.
Still has a paper in 2019.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals