• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Distributor with Octane Rod

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Hello,

I am working out the bugs in a rebuilt 2.9L with approximately 7kmi on it but it sat for a number of years as did the 87 Ranger (4x4, 5 sp) that it now resides in.

After starting and getting up to temp it is running rough, popping and I suspect not firing completely. About the time the Tstat opens the second time it will stall and then when I attempt to restart, it will only click/click/click.

I am getting ready to put in a spare TFI Ignition Module when I notice that one of my spare distributors has the Octane Rod. This makes me wonder if I was supposed to be using the Octane Rod version verses the non octane rod version?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would not worry about the octane rod. It was just another way Ford used to adjust the timing.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The "click, click, click" could mean alternator is OFF, or not working, and that can cause poor spark
Test battery volts, key OFF
12.8volt is new battery
12.5v is 3 year old battery
12.3v is 5/6 year old battery and time to shop for new battery

12.2v or less is drained or bad battery

With engine running battery should show over 14volts, but under 15volts, alternator is working
After 10min of running, and still idling, battery should show, 13.5v to 13.8v, voltage regulator is working

If you see under 13volts with engine running alternator is not On or working

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
franklin2,

Thank you, though this still troubles me as I am considering swapping distributors.

RonD,

I have suspected that my alternator was not working this entire process. My battery measures 12.65v when fully charged. It is not new but I am all but certain that it isn't getting charged by the alternator.

I have a new-in-box hi output alternator that I had bought for the 87 BII, I thought that I would just use that if needed but upon inspecting it, to my surprise, it has a 3 wire coupling vs the Ranger's 2 wire.

I charged up the battery, the click/click/click stopped but now it will not start (it will not start on starting fluid either). I have lost my spark.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Just an FYI the click-click-click is a sure sign of bad battery cable connection or weak/bad battery. It is the solenoid getting enough just to throw out the gear but as the motor draws more juice than is available so it draws it back in and repeat giving the rapid click-click-click sound.

loss of spark is a separate issue from the click-click-click.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
Bgunner,

Thank you for the feedback.

It turns out that the black connector pictured to the left was not plugged into the alternator. Unfortunately, I think that it is for the A/C cut out.

I have a second NIB 150a alternator which doesn't have those connectors, it has the white/gray only. I was hoping to use it but it looks like I'm going to learn by trying.

I am going to install the 150a, if that does help, I'm off to the battery Depot.

Attachments

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I thought a saw a right up in the tech section on upgrading the alternator to a larger one. I'm off to the tech section to try to find where I was reading it.

EDIT: sadly there is no write up on the 2.9's for upgrading the alternator. this article does cover some info on the 2.9L alternators though. https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-ranger-alternators/

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The plugs for the different alternators may be different, but the wire colors are usually the same and have the same function.

There is usually a lightgreen red. This comes from the dash light and the ignition switch and brings the alternator online to charge. Look for a terminal that is labelled "I", that is where the lightgreen/red goes.

There is usually a yellow/white wire. This is what the regulator inside the alternator uses to monitor the voltage in the wiring which tells the alternator how much to charge. It usually hooks to the battery side of the starter solenoid. Look for a terminal on the alternator labelled "A" for this wire.

Your original alternator probably has two fatter black/orange wires. These are the output wires that go from the alternator the battery +. These go to a terminal usually labelled "Bat". Your new alternator probably has a stud with a nut for this connection. If you want to use your original wires for this, you will have to cut the plug off and tie the two black/orange wires together and put them both under the stud.

Most of them also have a white/black jumper wire on the alternator. Just leave this in place.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
It turns out that the alternator that was shipped is the incorrect model; it is for a 1996 F150 with 4.9L v8.

I remember there being 120a and a larger unit. I am hopeful that a hi output Explorer unit may work, should the need arises.

I took my alternator to The O'Reilley's and the bench tested it twice @ VERY good. So I bought a new Interstate MTP65 HD battery and installed it with the EEC and ICM that were in it at the start of this mess. I had reason to believe that my Accel TFI coil wasn't working at it's full potential, so I installed my Jacob's Pro Street CD system to get as much spark as possible.

First twist fired right up, still not 100% but the best it's been since getting it going. I believe that the slight amount of residue in the adapted BroncoII fuel tank and the old Ranger fuel lines are the primary current fault.

In the morning I am going to bring it up to temp, set the base timing and add 6 more gls of fuel, then take another short test drive.

In summary, unfortunately, I am uncertain exactly which component cleared the "air" but I am greatful for the expert guidance that you fine comrades have offered.

I have a couple issues yet to resolve but I will leave them out of this discussion as they are non related systems.

🍻🍻🍻🚬🚬🚬🎆🎆🎆🎉🎉🎉☕☕☕

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals