• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Distributor swap questions

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I've got an 85 ranger with the 2.3 that is my prerunner project truck. In trying to get the truck somewhat daily drivable so I need to "update" the ignition system. Current setup is 2.3 with a holley 2 barrel and the tfi dizzy locked out at about 34 degrees with no advance whatsoever.

If I were to pick up a dizzy from an 83 or 84 with a single vacuum advance can I run it in the following configuration? 84 electronic single vacuum dizzy, 85 stock coil (so I don't have to worry about a ballast thingy to drop voltage) and the gm hei ignition module thingy.

If I cannot do that what would be my easiest/budget friendly route to go to run a dizzy with some sort of an advance mechanism?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I would suggest finding a complete wiring harness from an 87 or 88 2.0 and the distributor and ingition box from that setup. It may be compatible with what you have under the hood but I'm thinking there were some changes that would prevent a mingling of wiring harnesses.

If you were in Canada I'd part with my harness as I saved them from my 88 and haven't disposed of them yet...

But I'm sure you can find the earlier 2.0 somewhere...they also had similar setup and will run the 2.3 no problem...mostly because they are a 2.3...

Other than that...maybe someone else has a better plan to offer...

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Mark. Unfortunately for me, when I tore the truck down to rebuild the engine and make room for other goodies I completely gutted it of everthing including wiring.

Everything I have wired up I ran myself so I'm not too worried about moving/adding some wiring to my very lean setup.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, a Duraspark distributor for a 2.3l Lima will work with the Chevy HEI module.

That will give you vacuum advance and reliable spark.
It is basically a 1 wire setup, 12volt key on, for module and coil.

One heads up, on the older ignition systems when key is turned to START the ignition switch cut power to other systems so starter motor gets all battery power.
On these systems power for spark came from another wire while key was in START position, or from "I" post on 4 post Starter Relay.
So test the 12volt power wire in RUN and in START, to make sure it has power in both positions.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Awesome. Thanks Ron. Yeah I mostly just wasn't sure if the pre 85's were duraspark or not.

I have all the power in my truck run to toggle switches so I can control when everything gets power.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals