• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

distributor reinstalled and truck won’t start

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
built her in a storage unit
i definitely should have marked the rotor and what not but i didn’t and i turned it quite a bit to get the gears to mesh up so i have to reinstall it again, how do i install a distributor from scratch as if it was a new one with no marks? only problem i had was trying to get it to mesh up with the oil pump shaft so i had to rotate the motor

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You need to pull it, rotate the engine clockwise until you feel air pushing out of #1. Line up the crankshaft balancer so that 0 degrees is lined up with the pointer, stab the distributor so that the rotor is pointed at the #1 plug wire terminal, put it back together... then set the timing.

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
built her in a storage unit
You need to pull it, rotate the engine clockwise until you feel air pushing out of #1. Line up the crankshaft balancer so that 0 degrees is lined up with the pointer, stab the distributor so that the rotor is pointed at the #1 plug wire terminal, put it back together... then set the timing.
and if i can’t get the oil pump shaft the line up first try? i don’t have one of those oil pump primer sockets

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
stamina,

You need to set your engine to TDC #1 cylinder based on the marks on the crank/damper/block marks (front of block, passenger side, to the left and just above the crankshaft) . Then install your distributor. When you install the distributor, just be patient, it doesn't always plop in nice but it will 😉

Your manual should have a decent photo, there is undoubtedly one in our tech pages.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Sometimes it takes some wiggling. Try turning the rotor past or behind where you think it should be and see if it slides in. If it does and it lines up, you're good, if it's off, it'll be off enough to be obvious. You can bump the engine past 0 or back a little bit too, just use your best judgement...

I think you can use an E torx socket to turn the oil pump rod...don't quote me on that though.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have never tried it yet, but I am getting the impression if you do all the above (the air coming out of #1 sparkplug hole is important) and stab the distributor in, the distributor gears are going to mesh a certain amount. Then if you need to turn the engine a little bit you can, the gears will stay meshed. Turn it just a little bit and then once it drops in, turn it back to 10 BTDC and then twist the dist around till the rotor points to the right sparkplug wire (#1). If you can't get it without the dist hitting something on the engine, then just move the wires around like musical chairs, just keep them in order.

What you are doing with the air coming out of #1, the timing marks on the damper are going to come around twice for cylinder 1. Once for the exhaust stroke, another for the firing stroke. Both valves will be shut during the firing stroke and it will try to push your finger off the sparkplug hole. Thats the one you want to line up to.

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I found the easiest way to know you're on the right stroke is to put a compression tester on cylinder 1. When the needle reads, boom, compression stroke. My hands are usually too beat up and dirty to feel air coming out while cranking the engine with a ratchet, lol.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
It's called a dead time, we used to do it in high school auto on small block chevy shop engines. they guys described it right. dont worry about priming if it ran recently. You can prime it a little by cranking the engine with the cap wire off so it wont start.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Just loosen the #1 plug several turns and you'll hear air whistle out when it's on the compression stroke. Bring it up to TDC and try to drop the distributor in. Usually the oil pump drive doesn't line up the first time for me. The rotor is going to turn as the gears mesh together so try to guess how far it'll turn, then turn the rotor backwards and try to drop the distributor in again. Usually, it won't go all the way in so hook up a remote starter switch- or jump power to the solenoid "S" terminal- and bump the starter. Once it drops in, rotate the engine back to TDC and make sure everything is lined up. On a Ford V8, if the vacuum advance diaphragm isn't pointed about straight ahead, I consider it sloppy workmanship. Please don't just move the plug wires on the cap if it doesn't come out right the first time.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Just loosen the #1 plug several turns and you'll hear air whistle out when it's on the compression stroke. Bring it up to TDC and try to drop the distributor in. Usually the oil pump drive doesn't line up the first time for me. The rotor is going to turn as the gears mesh together so try to guess how far it'll turn, then turn the rotor backwards and try to drop the distributor in again. Usually, it won't go all the way in so hook up a remote starter switch- or jump power to the solenoid "S" terminal- and bump the starter. Once it drops in, rotate the engine back to TDC and make sure everything is lined up. On a Ford V8, if the vacuum advance diaphragm isn't pointed about straight ahead, I consider it sloppy workmanship. Please don't just move the plug wires on the cap if it doesn't come out right the first time.
The sparkplug wires do fit better if you are close to the factory position on the distributor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals