• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Distributor problem with my 2.8

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
What I need is a functioning distributor for a 2.8

I am a little gun shy of used. Basically that is what you are getting with Cardone, I have had bad experiences with them before. If I can find a bushing to rebuild the one I have, I think that would be the cheapest and most expedient repair. I am thinking any original distributor I find is going to need some work to it, so I might as well work on the one I have already.

In my book above I have a link to the DUI dist. I think it would be interesting to call them and see how many cores they have. They may want my old one for a core to convert it over.

As far as the other options, I am trying to stay away from too many wires. I have been slowly peeling the onion on this BII under the hood, and it's really cleaning up nicely. I just took a lot of the A/C out. I think I am going to rework the A/C box and take the evap coil out and shorten it up to get it out of the way. It's nice to open the hood and see a engine in the middle, with a alternator on one side, a power steering pump on the other, and a radiator up front. Very easy to work on now.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
What I need is a functioning distributor for a 2.8

I am a little gun shy of used. Basically that is what you are getting with Cardone, I have had bad experiences with them before. If I can find a bushing to rebuild the one I have, I think that would be the cheapest and most expedient repair. I am thinking any original distributor I find is going to need some work to it, so I might as well work on the one I have already.

In my book above I have a link to the DUI dist. I think it would be interesting to call them and see how many cores they have. They may want my old one for a core to convert it over.

As far as the other options, I am trying to stay away from too many wires. I have been slowly peeling the onion on this BII under the hood, and it's really cleaning up nicely. I just took a lot of the A/C out. I think I am going to rework the A/C box and take the evap coil out and shorten it up to get it out of the way. It's nice to open the hood and see a engine in the middle, with a alternator on one side, a power steering pump on the other, and a radiator up front. Very easy to work on now.
You look at the second link in my last post?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You look at the second link in my last post?
The DUI? That's the one I said I would be curious if I gave them a call if and how many 2.8 cores they have? If any? I am not ready to spend almost $300 for a distributor yet.

I was reading in one of my books, I need to take my 2.8 distributor back apart and measure the shaft diameter and the bushing diameter. If the shaft diameter is .468, then one of the bushings from the mustang restoration places might fit. Here's one for $25.75

I already checked, the 2.9 TFI distributor bushing won't work. I have a good one of those laying around.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I got called into work the other day, so it was my first run over the mountain to work in the BII with the locked TFI distributor. It did not run bad at all and may have a little more power and seems to run a little cooler pulling the mountain. I chalk this up to how bad the DSII distributor really was. I mean it must have been sloppy when I bought it "rebuilt" and I ran it for 4 years till it got so sloppy it would not run.

I was reading in a dist book the other day that one half tooth width on the DSII star wheel is 7.5 degrees crank timing. I had so much end play who knows where the timing was at speed, and I am sure it varied depending on how cold the engine oil was, how much load was on the oil pump.

I am probably going to figure out the bushing thing, and see if I can get this DSII distributor I have tightened back up. But will keep running the TFI dist for now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals