• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Distributor Install

dracosix9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm trying to re-install distributor on my 86 2.9l after having the ignition module tested, which I was hoping is the reason she won't fire but tests out fine after several tries. Is there anyway to get the timing close enough to do this without pulling off the front cover so i can continue to troubleshoot my lack of spark?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
yes, but its too late. if you didn't mark the distributor housing and rotor before you removed it then you need to set the crank at TDC and set the dist. rotor pointing to cyl number 1.

if you have no spark and the ignition module is ok. you need to check for power at 1 wire of the coil and a pulsing ground (when cranking) at the ignition coil.

if you have no pulsing ground then its probably the pickup coil inside the distributor or bad power/ground to the ignition module.

if you do get good pulsing ground but still no spark, then the coil is bad IF you have power on the other wire

dracosix9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I did mark the rotor and distributor position before I removed it. I'm just wanting to know if there is a way to see if I'm in the general ballpark of the correct timing before I try turning it over.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
if it was in correct timing before you removed it then it should be when you put it back.

to verify once you get it back in. you just set the crank at TDC and check where the rotor points. it should point at 1 or just opposite of 1

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looking down on the distributor, the tfi should point between 7 and 8 abouts. I did a ghetto coil test by grounding the coil, plugging a spark plug into the coil spark wire, putting 12 volts to the positive side of the coil, and tapping the negative side with a ground. should get sparks at the plug. good luck.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Yea do what he said above find tdc #1 cylinder and see if the rotor is pointing to the #1 on the cap around 11 oclock if your close go ahead and fire it up with a timing light and the spout wire disconnected and time it to 10 dbtdc, tighten the dizzy and check it then plug the spout wire back in. Did you ask anyone here what to do before you pulled the dizzy. Did you check the coil put a spark plug in the coil wire going to the dizzy and ground the plug and crank on it if you get spark the coil is good. No spark take a wire and jumper from the neg on the coil dk green/yellow to ground with the ignition on and the plug grounded you should get spark but dont hold the wire to ground just quick touches. back up a bit do you hear a click on the passenger side when you turn the ignition on and hear the fuel pump.

dracosix9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
fuel pump works, that was my last problem with this old beast before the sudden lose of ignition. Have used a meter on the coil and it rings out to the speck on the tech page. last time I posted about it everyone told me it have to be the ICM, so I pulled the dizzy to get it off and had it tested, which as i said before tested fine after five tries. now I'm at a little bit of a lose as to where to go next with the trouble shooting. Will have to try the coil grounding test though after I get the dizzy back on this weekend to see if I get a good spark or not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals