• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

distributer and injector wiring

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So ive got power and ground done on my battery relocation now, and have my ranger rolling over too. So in the nest of wires I have which is the stock 91 2.3 harness with it repinned for the 86 merkur engine and computer, I'm lost a bit. I don't have what appears to be a plug to run the injectors that fits the merkur engine, and since my engine was a 8 plug head with two coil packs, which plug do I use with my distributor, the black or gray one? The injector harness is a 4 larger pin female socket, but nothing that matches the stock ranger harness. Any ideas???? Thanks guys!

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
The distributor/TFI/ignition control module connectors from the '91 ranger harness will work, either one. However, are you rewiring the connector to work with the computer you're using? Or are you just wanting to use it without modifying the wires? I want to be more help, but there isn't quite enough information for me to be able to help you more.

Also, with the fuel injectors, those are still just a positive wire from the computer, and a ground wire leading back. You can find a wiring diagram to double check with those. For an OBD-I computer, two injectors are on pin 58, and the other two are on pin 59.

The four pin connector that you mentioned can be swapped out with a different style of four pin connector to suit what you need. Btw, the stock ranger harness for fuel injectors has all of the injectors going through a 12 pin connector, along with some other engine components.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual

Silver talon84

May 2010 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the ecu re-pinned to help keep the wiring in the engine bay at a minimum. I have added 4 wires to the harness that need to be run into the engine bay for the vam, etc. Didn't catch in any of the guides about injectors being a different hookup or the distributor being possibly something that's needing modifications too. I need to find a printer to print those pdf files off, it's hard to wrap my head around them on a smart phone. Tonight I'm looking for a key on power source for the mad coil I have, and not sure what else as the injectors were my next step.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The turbo injectors should have the same connector, mine went right on ('90-86).

As for the distributor wiring, THIS might help, I left mine set up for DIS just used the passenger side coil pack and grounded the two outputs from the drivers side coil pack and it's been working fine for 4 years or so... a new ignition module bracket needed to be made but that was simple enough... To make the DIS work you would have to make a template off the original engine and drill/tap the holes for the crank sensor bracket.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals