• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Discussion concerning 2021

Mp3sgt

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 2021 Lariat 501A FX2 so 2WD black in color just over 500 miles. First, it is a significant upgrade in many things from my former 2011 Ranger. Technology, drivetrain, size, ground clearance, features, etc.

First some good news. The previously mentioned method to use Forscan to turn off the front signal bulb out is the same as 2019 and 2020 so they did not change that. Every bulb on my truck is now LED as it should be with no fast flash.

Next, I want to approach the transmission. I had smoother shifts in my 2011 manual even at high RPM. BUT, the shifts are notably better than when I got it delivered at 150 miles. I find that linear acceleration whether softly in town or trying to run the beans on the highway result in smooth but perceptive shifts. A weird issue is traction control that activates even at 50mph or better when you floor it in normal or sport mode. I doubt I am slipping tire with all terrain tires on dry pavement at 50mph+. The engine starts to cut power I guess thinking it is losing traction?
Other than the transmission, the engine is quite a bit peppy and I am using regular 87 unleaded. When that thing hits between 2500-4000 RPM it moves! If only the transmission would stop thinking I am losing traction!

The seats are comfortable. The lumbar is a bit aggressive even at its lowest setting though. The dead pedal on the left is quite a delight.

The steering is not the old school hydraulic but it's responsive enough.

Overall, at the 500 mile mark, I am satisfied so far. No issues needing to be brought to the dealer at this point.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Tires could be slipping. I mashed the gas last week on a short on-ramp and the back tire broke loose and the traction control kicked in at 35 mph when the boost ran up.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
I have a 2021 Lariat 501A FX2 so 2WD black in color just over 500 miles. First, it is a significant upgrade in many things from my former 2011 Ranger. Technology, drivetrain, size, ground clearance, features, etc.

First some good news. The previously mentioned method to use Forscan to turn off the front signal bulb out is the same as 2019 and 2020 so they did not change that. Every bulb on my truck is now LED as it should be with no fast flash.

Next, I want to approach the transmission. I had smoother shifts in my 2011 manual even at high RPM. BUT, the shifts are notably better than when I got it delivered at 150 miles. I find that linear acceleration whether softly in town or trying to run the beans on the highway result in smooth but perceptive shifts. A weird issue is traction control that activates even at 50mph or better when you floor it in normal or sport mode. I doubt I am slipping tire with all terrain tires on dry pavement at 50mph+. The engine starts to cut power I guess thinking it is losing traction?
Other than the transmission, the engine is quite a bit peppy and I am using regular 87 unleaded. When that thing hits between 2500-4000 RPM it moves! If only the transmission would stop thinking I am losing traction!

The seats are comfortable. The lumbar is a bit aggressive even at its lowest setting though. The dead pedal on the left is quite a delight.

The steering is not the old school hydraulic but it's responsive enough.

Overall, at the 500 mile mark, I am satisfied so far. No issues needing to be brought to the dealer at this point.
We have a little over 18,000 miles on our 2019 XL SuperCab FX-4. No issues thus far. We run 91 octane Shell fuel and our MPG is always better than 25. We did a 207 mile trip a couple weeks ago and got 32 mpg, mostly running 62 mph with the cruise control on. These new Rangers are pretty amazing.

2021-07-04 32.5 MPG.JPG

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
We have a little over 18,000 miles on our 2019 XL SuperCab FX-4. No issues thus far. We run 91 octane Shell fuel and our MPG is always better than 25. We did a 207 mile trip a couple weeks ago and got 32 mpg, mostly running 62 mph with the cruise control on. These new Rangers are pretty amazing.

View attachment 62665
Nice! I'm around a consistent 21 mpg for past few months. Before covid when I was driving highways @ 80mph all the time I usually got about 24 mpg.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The girlfriend is still driving the 2019 while she works out issues with her clown car. Before she can fix the maintenance issues, she needs to straighten out her title. It seems they issued it to her old address out of state but mailed it to her current address in state. So, until she fixes the title/registration issue (paperwork has been done and sent in to the capital), the thing is dead in the water. In any case, I have no idea what it's getting on a regular basis and even when she does let me know, there is a lot of in town, stop and go driving with short trips. Not a good gauge to base mpg on other than it sucks. My 2011 right now is getting better mileage as a result.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
can the traction control be turned off? sometimes a little wheel slippage is fun, last night on the way home from work with my 94 I rounded a wet corner in 2nd, halfway into the turn I floored it and spun the right rear but had enough traction I kept accelerating. I didnt let off until I needed 3rd gear. Im not sure of the distance but it was at least 100ft. Maybe I just watch “roadkill garage “ too much and this is as close as my 2.3 will ever get to doing burnouts for distance.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
The tranny will learn your driving habits and calm down so to speak over a few thousand miles.

I've read a lot of complaints about the new school steering setup. I like it, a lot. It's a truck.. not a racecar.. feeling every crack and pebble in the road through the wheel isn't exactly necessary. It's actually super nice off road.. really dampens feedback.

I'm getting a little over 20mpg with 32" mud terrains and a 2.5" level. Mostly rural driving.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size

Mp3sgt

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Funny thing is the traction control would cut fuel and light up during 50mph flooring of the accelerator. I feel no loss of traction but maybe it THINKS a loss may occur? Yes, I could easily turn off the basic wheel spin control portion of traction control by pressing the button next to the auto start stop but I just did not think I was losing traction at such speeds on dry pavement.

I will compare the vehicle indicated MPG with my fuel fill up MPG once it is time to fill up again. Still only on my first tank fill after the tank from the dealership.

JMGlasgow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Stability control is probably activating at that speed. It's the same light on your instrument cluster.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
They say the new trucks have a curve control feature. That maybe incorporated into traction control. I don't know exactly how it works.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The fuel mileage calculator in the Ranger is off. Not by a lot but it is. It will give you a decent idea on how you are doing but I wouldn’t use it as a hard number. You’ll still need to do math if you want an accurate fuel mileage number.

My Scangauge II is the same way. Once in a blue moon it will be spot on but it’s usually lower than the actual mileage.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
They say the new trucks have a curve control feature. That maybe incorporated into traction control. I don't know exactly how it works.
Depends on if the truck has "Lane Keeping System" technology.

Ours doesn't, we bought an XL to avoid as much technology as possible.

Mp3sgt

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So a review now above 3300 miles. Performance is better and I have figured out to turn off the basic traction control for good performance above 4000RPM (it seems to detect slip maybe in the transmission and gets aggressive at reducing power during full throttle). The transmission is still a bit delayed when you want the beans but it is less clunky and smoother. There is some scary fuel smell when I check the oil so I am keeping a close sniff on that. Since I have the FX2 package, on road is a bit bouncy but off road is nice. I am liking it so far.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Send a sample in to get tested by a company like Blackstone to make sure the fuel levels in your oil isn't too high at your next oil change. Some people have had issues with too much fuel in the oil. People who do a lot of stop and go driving seem to have more of an issue with it than those who make longer highway trips.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals