• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Discussion concerning 2021

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
If you are concerned about the fuel they make after market catch cans. I talked to my dealer and they said it wouldn't void any warranty but may check with yours before going that route. I noticed a little smell when I changed mine. Sent it to Blackstone and it came back within tolerance levels. I do change mine every 5000 with full synthetic. I've noticed that the synthetic has a fuel smell when used anyway. I run it in the wife's focus and doesn't have a turbo and still has a fuel smell while draining.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The catch can may help address the issue as far as what goes into the intake through the PCV system but won't help with fuel contamination in the crankcase of the engine doesn't stay warm long enough to cook the fuel off.

There is speculation to the cause. I'm not sure if a definite answer was ever reached to what the cause is. Some talk about a seal between the block and the high pressure fuel pump. Some mention piston blow by because of the forced induction. It could be a combination of both.

Obviously, the less fuel in the oil the better but if it tests to be within limits and stays there, it is less of a concern. My 2019 has the fuel smell in the oil. The 2011 doesn't. Both use the same synthetic oil. The oil in the 2019 has tested to be within limits but I still send samples in periodically to make sure everything is still ok.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
The catch can may help address the issue as far as what goes into the intake through the PCV system but won't help with fuel contamination in the crankcase of the engine doesn't stay warm long enough to cook the fuel off.

There is speculation to the cause. I'm not sure if a definite answer was ever reached to what the cause is. Some talk about a seal between the block and the high pressure fuel pump. Some mention piston blow by because of the forced induction. It could be a combination of both.

Obviously, the less fuel in the oil the better but if it tests to be within limits and stays there, it is less of a concern. My 2019 has the fuel smell in the oil. The 2011 doesn't. Both use the same synthetic oil. The oil in the 2019 has tested to be within limits but I still send samples in periodically to make sure everything is still ok.
I may want to keep testing mine then. Only tested 2nd oil change. First was at 1500. So no fuel smell. Second had a slight smell so I took some suggestions and had it tested. the one the other day I didnt notice the smell. But it's still in the garage so may send it in. Was a little late as well. Truck was just over 11000. The round up made me run a little late on it haha

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I do mine every Spring and Fall regardless of mileage. Most of the time it’s well below the 10,000 mile recommendation. While it costs more money, I think will be better for the engine in the long run.

The worst I had the fuel smell was the drive down and back from Texas. The truck ran nonstop except for fuel ups, food, and bathroom breaks.

It did notice it was worse on the way down than on the way back. So, it could be a heat issue. A sample was sent in after that trip and it was deemed ok. Staying around home and regular driving, it hasn’t gotten as bad.

Not exactly scientific but something to note and store away in the “data bank”.

I’ve done 6 month oil changes for years. It gives continuity and a regimen to make sure all the preventative maintenance gets done when it should. With the salt and brine we deal with here, it makes sure things don’t seize up from rust. Like the brakes for instance.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
I wished I could make it 6 months between mantaince. I've had mine since December of last year and have done 3 so far haha. I want to go out and rotate tires today but the damn rain has been constant since Friday. looks like a late evening on day this week

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I wished I could make it 6 months between mantaince. I've had mine since December of last year and have done 3 so far haha. I want to go out and rotate tires today but the damn rain has been constant since Friday. looks like a late evening on day this week
I'm below the national average on yearly driving distances. Even with all the trips for training across and halfway across the state. I'm averaging about 8,000+ a year. So, it's time changes instead of mileage changes. Now, with the 2019 and the girlfriend driving it for work, she's got 31,000 miles on the odometer already.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals