• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Disc brake conversion questions

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I worked at the most reputable brake shop in town, there were standards our boss wanted to keep. Cracking the bleeders was one of them, but every now and then, we skirted a few of his rules.

I know I would personally be suspicious of a brake shop if I got my car back and I noticed the never even touched to bleeders.

Out in the yard/garage is a totally different story.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You could make some argument about pushing dirty fluid into the ABS controller or the master cylinder, but the idea of having debris in the lines that somehow gets caught in either of those seems like more of an urban legend. The only thing I can think of is concern about overflowing the reservoir and making a mess. Outside of that, the only reason to open the system is if you're planning to flush the brake system afterwards. Not always a bad idea, but if you're doing that every single time you do a brake job, that's a shop policy designed to drain customers pockets. Not about being 'the most reputable brake shop in town'.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
that's a shop policy designed to drain customers pockets. Not about being 'the most reputable brake shop in town'.
I was NOT the shop owner and they were NOT my policies. Way to slander a small business owner without even knowing him.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
We've taken this one from disc brake conversion to full on slandering the most reputable brake shop in the country. Partially my fault with the residual pressure valve question.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo

BingBang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
In the brake shop I worked at, this^^ process is frowned upon. We were told to crack the bleeder to push pistons back, to keep from pushing the seals out. Dot 3 isn't that expensive and every job has to get bled anyways.
That's ridiculous. That doesn't even seem logical. The amount of pressure caused by pushing the piston back in without opening the bleeder is only a fraction of the pressure being applied when you push the pedal down to brake. Think about that for a moment and realize how the theory of pushing seals out is laughable.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
That's ridiculous. That doesn't even seem logical. The amount of pressure caused by pushing the piston back in without opening the bleeder is only a fraction of the pressure being applied when you push the pedal down to brake. Think about that for a moment and realize how the theory of pushing seals out is laughable.
So your saying in all of time, seals have NEVER been pushed out using this process?
How long has your brake shop been in business? I'll wait . . .

As I understood it, pressure from booster to calipers was OK, Pressure from Caliper to Booster was not OK. Seems pretty logical to me. That's why your pedal comes back up slowly.
But you do it your way, and I'll crack the bleeders. You probably just slap pads in without having rotors resurfaced too, LMFAO.

Remind me to never ride in your truck.

Last edited:

BingBang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
So your saying in all of time, seals have NEVER been pushed out using this process?
How long has your brake shop been in business? I'll wait . . .

As I understood it, pressure from booster to calipers was OK, Pressure from Caliper to Booster was not OK. Seems pretty logical to me. That's why your pedal comes back up slowly.
But you do it your way, and I'll crack the bleeders. You probably just slap pads in without having rotors resurfaced too, LMFAO.

Remind me to never ride in your truck.
23 years. Rated highly in the area. And service contactor to several city owned fleets. Also bosch factory trained(specializee in fuel injection and engine electronic control systems). Honda performance factory trained. Cummins factory trained. All in brakes and suspension. You were saying??

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
23 years. Rated highly in the area. And service contactor to several city owned fleets. Also bosch factory trained(specializee in fuel injection and engine electronic control systems). Honda performance factory trained. Cummins factory trained. All in brakes and suspension. You were saying??
I was saying that, the guy who taught me to do brakes, the owner of the shop that's been in business for over 30 years and is the MOST reputable brake shop in the area, said that was not the correct way to do it.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I love your constant claim to be 'the most reputable brake shop in the area', as if that should negate our concern about a business practice that is clearly oriented towards charging extra fees rather than a justifiable focus on doing the job properly.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
I love your constant claim to be 'the most reputable brake shop in the area', as if that should negate our concern about a business practice that is clearly oriented towards charging extra fees rather than a justifiable focus on doing the job properly.
Do you also love how Big Bang aslo claimed to be "Rated highly in the area", because it's the same thing I did.

We're talking about DOT3 brake fluid here. It's not like we were overcharging for the stuff. It's in the price of the brake job. To think that Brake Fluid is where the shop makes it's money is laughable. You think cracking the bleeders, and then topping off the fluid is " a business practice that is clearly oriented towards charging extra fees rather than a justifiable focus on doing the job properly."
give me a break, bro. :icon_rofl: stop being silly. You're the only person that mentioned cracking the bleeders was a money scheme. Nobody else. Just you. It was presented to me as a "fast hack for shade tree mechanics" so I don't do it. What you do to your vehicles is your business.

I love your constant nagging at any little comment I make. I'm NOT wrong here, but you seem to want to be MORE right than I am on any given occasion.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I worked at the most reputable brake shop in town, there were standards our boss wanted to keep. Cracking the bleeders was one of them, but every now and then, we skirted a few of his rules.

I know I would personally be suspicious of a brake shop if I got my car back and I noticed the never even touched to bleeders.

Out in the yard/garage is a totally different story.
I've never heard of such a thing.

Been working on my stuff for 20+ years, parts manager of a CDJR dealer that has been open for 47 years for 2.5 years.

If that muniscule amount of pressure pops the seals they desperately need popped anyway.

:icon_rofl:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
I've never heard of such a thing.

Been working on my stuff for 20+ years, parts manager of a CDJR dealer that has been open for 47 years for 2.5 years.

If that muniscule amount of pressure pops the seals they desperately need popped anyway.

:icon_rofl:
That's cool. There's a lot of things that people have never heard of. That doesn't mean those things doesn't exist.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to change the way they do brakes. I was just simply trying to pass on the information that was passed to me. I thought that was the point in this forum but apparently it's sole purpose is to make Ranger850 look foolish. At times I play the fool, probably to my detriment, but that doesn't make me ignorant or dumb. I can easily go on about my life and not give a care to how your brakes were done. I only care how MY brakes are done.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's cool. There's a lot of things that people have never heard of. That doesn't mean those things doesn't exist.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to change the way they do brakes. I was just simply trying to pass on the information that was passed to me. I thought that was the point in this forum but apparently it's sole purpose is to make Ranger850 look foolish. At times I play the fool, probably to my detriment, but that doesn't make me ignorant or dumb. I can easily go on about my life and not give a care to how your brakes were done. I only care how MY brakes are done.
I googled it to humor you.

Bleed brakes when changing brake pads — Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice | Automotive Repair Tips and How-To

It is kind of a thing but not for the reason you say.

To be honest if calipers have age on them we just quote new/reman ones, due to corrosion in the bores when you expand them beyond their normal travel (which changes as the pads wear) the pistons can get weird and not release. Then it melts the new pads and new rotor and customer comes back angry. So we avoid breaking off/rounding of crappy bleeders on old calipers that may or may not come back around by just replacing the whole thing outright if they have age to them. And of course replacing the caliper would do the same thing as pushing old fluid out of the bores. Crappy old fluid is gone, new or cleaner fluid is in.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The recommended procedure since I started working on cars in the early 90’s has been to open the bleeders before pushing the pistons back…. Common practice is to just shove the fluid back into the master. I know which way I’ve always done it, that doesn’t make it the right way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals