• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dirty hub

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
I just noticed today while driving an intermittent grinding noise coming from the front right wheel. The faster I go the faster the grinding, and vise versa when going slow. I got home and pulled off the hub and holy cow was there a lot of crap in there. I've cleaned this 3 times before but its never been this bad, so something is definitely wrong.

I got out my air compressor and sprayed air in the hub and there was a ton of dirt in there. Then I decided to take off the drivers side hub and it was perfect!

So after spraying out the passenger side I put it all back together and drove around and the noise is still there. I would test to see if it makes the noise in 4x4 but it doesn't work and I'm thinking this may be why. I'm at a loss, help me please!

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
The excessive dirt intrusion suggests one or both of the O-ring seals has failed, meaning that even if hub wasn't fouled/jammed up with all that dirt, there wouldn't be any effective vacuum force to operate the hub in and out.

Check the Tech Library for the easy way to operate your hubs manually, should you need the 4WD functionality.

I've never had that noise you describe, but have read here on TRS something about CV joint boot/clamp scraping on steering knuckle...??

If noise increases when turning left (higher load) or decreases when turning right (less loading), then it's probably the sealed/UNserviceable (pricey) wheel bearing/hub assembly "big enchilada"s.

Include more details about total mileage, etc.

I'm about to undertake the 4WD-PVH "tune-up"... let you know what I learn.

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Hey thanks for the reply. It turned out to be the wheel bearing, and like you said I was unable to fix it my self haha. I was only 3 rusty, lock tited bolts away from getting it off, (no air tools) so I had to take it in. I did the manual hubs conversion awhile ago but my 4x4 still is broken and I rebuilt my shift motor and I don't know what it is so I'm just going to put a manual T-Case in. But let me know how your PVH tune up goes.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
MANUAL T-case... gets me aroused just thinking about it, lol. That's wild that Ford went back to that for just a few years on the FX4 (2001-2004, Level II???).

Now all I need is manual hubs that can be actuated from inside the cab... hmmm... I'm thinking electro-magnets... or a young Asian girl to jump out and twist them. (*rimshot*)

Out there in my old stompin' grounds of Aurora-Denver-Boulder-Standley Lake, you definitely have a lot more environmental stresses on--and need for--the additional 4WD machinery. I've even heard that despite the altitude and dry snow, that some locales have taken to using the dreaded SALT in the winter. :icon_surprised:

My shift motor looks quite rusty from the coastal salt-air environs I'm now in, so I may end up just buying TWO of them from my local U-pull-it yard. It's kind of ironic that the only "store-bought" manual linkage setup for the BW 1354 is a whopping $300... and IIRC that does NOT include the shifter lever and boot. Makes me wanna get crafty.

OTOH, would it be so bad if the T-case lever was BEHIND the seats? :icon_twisted: Or what if the after-market linkage came out underneath the cab, to the "belt line", and you just had to open the door, lean out, and twiddle your handle? :D Yeah, it's late, and I've had a couple o' beers. :icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals