• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Differentials

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am gonna drain/suction and refill my diffs but when i opened the fill plug on the front it was pouring out oil.. Does that mean the oil was sitting on top of water that got in my diff? I did go through some high water about fog lights or so high.
Or did somebody just overfill it and stuck the plug on when it was still pouring out? What are some consequences from water in your differential? And just to clarify... It is 80w90 gear oil in both diffs or 80w90 in the front 75w140 in the rear? 98 4x4 7.5 L/S w/ Trac-Lok

Thanks
Pranger

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am gonna drain/suction and refill my diffs but when i opened the fill plug on the front it was pouring out oil.. Does that mean the oil was sitting on top of water that got in my diff? I did go through some high water about fog lights or so high.
Or did somebody just overfill it and stuck the plug on when it was still pouring out? What are some consequences from water in your differential? And just to clarify... It is 80w90 gear oil in both diffs or 80w90 in the front 75w140 in the rear? 98 4x4 7.5 L/S w/ Trac-Lok

Thanks
Pranger
When in doubt, dump it out. Water is not a good thing especially if it freezes it can bust any part of that axle it wants if it has no place left to expand.

Edit: never mind on the ice part in Santa Cruz

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe they filled it with the truck jacked up and not level? If you suspect water, its not going to hurt to drain the old fluid and inspect it now.

I really enjoy amsoil 75w110 as a middle weight for the rear end. 140 weight is a little much for our rangers.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
You should check every case underneath if you were in foot deep water. Especially if you have an automatic. While you're underneath . locate the vents and make sure they are as high as possible.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You should check every case underneath if you were in foot deep water. Especially if you have an automatic. While you're underneath . locate the vents and make sure they are as high as possible.
1+ ^^^^^^^

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I cant help but note that you have a L/S which means you need to add the friction additive to the gear oil FYI...

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know about friction mod for l/s diffs but I was finding mixed answers on which oil to put in the rear diff 75w140 or 80w90. And a suction gun won't be efficient enough for the water, if any, so I think I'm just gonna have the shop drop the front and clean it out. I will do the rear myself.

Edit: thank you for the responses:beer:

Last edited:

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know about friction mod for l/s diffs but I was finding mixed answers on which oil to put in the rear diff 75w140 or 80w90. And a suction gun won't be efficient enough for the water, if any, so I think I'm just gonna have the shop drop the front and clean it out. I will do the rear myself.

Edit: thank you for the responses:beer:
Very good choice to dump them. 80/90 is fine in your climate year around. We run 75/140 full synthetic up here alot because we deal with minus -70 below to 100 + F. Just gut them and put in new so you know and as was mentioned scope your vent tubes.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, 80/90s perfect for ya

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
You don't need friction modifier. It gives the truck better street manners by letting the clutches slip a little bit. If you want the L/S to grip better, leave it out.

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Very good choice to dump them. 80/90 is fine in your climate year around. We run 75/140 full synthetic up here alot because we deal with minus -70 below to 100 + F. Just gut them and put in new so you know and as was mentioned scope your vent tubes.
Okay, thank you. Ya I replaced the breather tubes on my diffs the next day they were pretty brittle and clogged

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You don't need friction modifier. It gives the truck better street manners by letting the clutches slip a little bit. If you want the L/S to grip better, leave it out.
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You'll burn up your clutches in no time. I should know, it happened to me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals