• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Differential compatibility with a 2000 XLT Ext Cab

GearHead36

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 XLT Ext Cab with a 3.0 & 4 sp AT. It has a 3.73 open diff. The truck recently jumped a curb, destroying two wheels, and bending the differential. Which years & models can I used diffs from? Any 7.5? Are 7.5's from 4 cyl trucks ok? When I did a brake job, I remember there being two drum sizes, and mine has the larger size. Do I need to find a diff with the larger brakes, or can I just swap mine over (especially since they only have about 10K on them). Any risk going with a lim slip? I found lim slip diff in a junkyard, with the only thing holding it to the truck was the brake cables and lines, and the driveshaft. I went back the next day to get it, and it was gone.

Is there a list somewhere showing parts compatibility across the years?

Thanks.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Pretty much any ranger rear end will swap in... 8.8 or 7.5. If you have 4x4... you need to match what came out.... or match the front gear to your new rear gear. Also the brakes should swap too.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Yup. What he^^^^ said. Personally, i would try to stick with the 10” drums.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
and upgrade to the 8.8 not that the 7.5 is a bad rear end. Trac-loc (limited slip) wouldn't hurt my feeling either...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yes I said feeling... seems I may only have one left. lol

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Yes I said feeling... seems I may only have one left. lol
May as well throw that one away, too. I’ve got some. But I hide them in a safe at home. Hid them so well that my wife left me because she doesn’t think i have any feelings. But hey. The guys at work can’t hurt them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Stay as close to your year as possible. Other years will work but like other said pay attention to getting the same gearing you have and any ABS connections.

GearHead36

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the responses.

Stay as close to your year as possible. Other years will work but like other said pay attention to getting the same gearing you have and any ABS connections.
Ah. I didn't even think about ABS. Thanks. Ratios? Yes, I've been looking for a 3.73 or 4.10. Lim slip wouldn't offend me either.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the responses.

Ah. I didn't even think about ABS. Thanks. Ratios? Yes, I've been looking for a 3.73 or 4.10. Lim slip wouldn't offend me either.
If you have 4wd the rear ratio has to match the front.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Thank you for saying limited slip instead of "posi". Positraction was Chevy's name for their limited slip and Ford has never used it. I know I'm going to get slammed again but you don't have an extended cab, Ford never made one, you have a Supercab. Just a suggestion, once you get your truck back on 4 wheels, have a body shop check the frame- f the rear axle housing bent you may have tweaked the frame,too.

GearHead36

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for saying limited slip instead of "posi". Positraction was Chevy's name for their limited slip and Ford has never used it. I know I'm going to get slammed again but you don't have an extended cab, Ford never made one, you have a Supercab. Just a suggestion, once you get your truck back on 4 wheels, have a body shop check the frame- f the rear axle housing bent you may have tweaked the frame,too.
I thought I'd seen it called extended cab in one of the VIN decoders. Oh, well....

It's not really off the road right now. It's still driveable. I really can't tell that anything is wrong with the diff just by driving it. But looking at it, I can see that the wheel has several degrees of camber.

If the frame IS tweaked, is it repairable? If so, is it an expensive repair? This truck is about one notch above a beater. It's reliable, and drives well, but cosmetically, it's not much to look at.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If it has visible camber the housing is bent. I don't know how expensive it would be to have the frame checked but I thought of a cheap alternative. After you fix the obvious damage get a wheel alignment and have them check all 4 wheels. The rear isn't adjustable but if the frame is tweaked the centerline will probably be off. It may still be driveable, even with a little dog tracking. Dog tracking means the rear end is tipped to one side- for example,toed in on one side and toed out on the other.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Well, not trying to "slam" anyone, but 'extended cab' is the generic term. It is completely correct to call it that. "Supercab" is Ford's trademark name for said cab.
Same thing with Toyota calling their extended cab: "Xtra-Cab" (now "Access Cab"), Dodge I believe was "Club Cab", and Nissan; "King Cab". Chevy & GMC, OTOH, I don't recall had a trademarked name for their cab, they just called their truck an "extended cab"... I haven't checked for sure recently, but I believe the same may still be true today).

On the same note, Ford's trademark name for a limited slip differential is "Traction-Lok".

Anyway as for your axle, pretty much any of them from 1988-2009 will have the ABS sensor & connection. You will probably want an axle from 1993-2009 though, prior to 1993 they were 2" narrower.

Frames can be repaired, though rarely is it cheap. If there's no misalignment of the bed and bumpers with the cab (body), chances are good the frame is likely fine.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Well, not trying to "slam" anyone, but 'extended cab' is the generic term. It is completely correct to call it that. "Supercab" is Ford's trademark name for said cab.
Same thing with Toyota calling their extended cab: "Xtra-Cab" (now "Access Cab"), Dodge I believe was "Club Cab", and Nissan; "King Cab". Chevy & GMC, OTOH, I don't recall had a trademarked name for their cab, they just called their truck an "extended cab"... I haven't checked for sure recently, but I believe the same may still be true today).

On the same note, Ford's trademark name for a limited slip differential is "Traction-Lok".

Anyway as for your axle, pretty much any of them from 1988-2009 will have the ABS sensor & connection. You will probably want an axle from 1993-2009 though, prior to 1993 they were 2" narrower.

Frames can be repaired, though rarely is it cheap. If there's no misalignment of the bed and bumpers with the cab (body), chances are good the frame is likely fine.

what do they call the limited slip in a DANA 44 or 60 since they are found in several brands?
(not slamming, just a slow night)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals