• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

differences in a 92 4.0 and 00?

wynnespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 and 2000
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
besides one being obd1 and obd2 are there much that changed? im asking because my 4.0 in my 00 ranger has warped/cracked heads and my buddy is giving me a v6 from a 92 explorer. i going to use the intake from the ranger on the 92 engine. will there be any big issues wth this swap?

thanks for reading

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Well, there are two different kinds of 4.0's for 2000. one is the ohv and one is the SOHC version. and they are completely different and will not interchange easily or cheaply with your version.

I think for the Ranger in 00 you still have an OHV, but could possibly have the SOHC as an option for that year. if you have the OHV, you can strip the 92 motor down to the shortblock plus heads and then bolt your 00 intake and sensors onto the 92. you then should be good to go. If you have the SOHC version, you are out of luck.

there is also some differences in the flexplate/flywheel and crankshaft between 92 and 00, but if you have the flexplate/flywheel already installed on the donor, you should be good.

AJ

wynnespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 and 2000
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
im reading it now... thanks

@97ranger xlt i have the ohv and i believe the donor does have a flex plate on it. so your saying the 92 heads will work with the newer intake?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I believe they will, but that is based on other discussions on this board from years ago...you might search the tech library and the 4.0 engine forums for more clarification.

worst case scenario is to yank the motor and start swapping parts over :)

Removing the intake can be a pain, especially the upper intake on the later 4.0 engines like you have in your truck. If you are going to replace the engine, I wholeheartedly suggest you do the swap for the intake parts out of the truck and on the engine stand...I have replaced the entire upper engine gasket set on my ranger a few years ago and it was tight in some places and it would have made my life easier if I could walk around the engine to do the swap.

Here is what you are getting into:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94437

This should be pretty accurate for the 00 4.0 engine. the intake and plumbing/ wiring on the 92 should be different (aluminum upper intake vs/ plastic) but the bottom end should be pretty similar.

We also have a 4.0 spec sheet in the Tech Library, and If I remember right it explains some of the differences from year to year.

AJ

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There were physical changes made to the internals of the engine over the years.

In 95 the shape of the combustion chambers were changed, and the dish of the pistons were altered as well. Putting the 95 fast burn heads in with older pistons and/or the non-fast burn software will crack the heads. This leads me to believe that the older internals with the newer software will probably not run well.

Somewhere around 95 or 96 the block was changed slightly, the hole for the cam sensor changed size and they can't be swapped across that line because they don't fit. The actual sensor part can't get swapped across the line either because the plug is different.

It can be done, but I don't know how easy it will be or how well it will work. Are you sure you don't have a SOHC? Cracked and warped heads are common on early SOHCs but not so much on late OHVs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals