• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Differences in 4.0 engines

brianhood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 2000 2005
Make / Model
3 Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've looked into replacing my 2005 Sport Trac's blown engine with several different ideas. Today, I bought a 2002 4.0 from a wrecked Sport Trac. According to Rockauto the long blocks are the same from 2000 to 2007. However, car-part lists the engines as separate engines. Im guessing that the block and heads are the same. Im planning on taking the fuel system, Intake, and all of the electrical parts from my original 2005 engine and putting it onto the 2002 engine. Any suggestions? Does anyone know what the differences are?

sd359

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
31/10-50
Look at the TRS tech library. The engine tech section is filled with alot of knowledge on the 4.0

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the 4.0l SOHC long block will be the same, so as long as you swap over your intakes and valve covers you will be fine
Most likely the same oil pan but give it a look

Parts to change
BOTH long chain tensioners, use motorcraft only replacements(2002 still had the old models, so check the guides for looseness, i.e. broken)
Check Knock sensor wires, they would get brittle and break, its under the intake
Replace rear main seal, on any engine when its out
Inspect the thermostat housings, closely, they cracked and leaked on the 4.0l SOHC
Inspect the oil pan gaskets, there are 2, any sign of a leak replace both while engine is out

Oil pump is up to you, not a known issue at all, so should be fine on this model

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Consider replacing
~ stock Plastic TStatHousing with Aluminum version,
~ stock PlasticTanked 1Core Radiator with AllAluminum 2Core or better..
especially if you still have the factory originals.

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm currently rebuilding an '03 FX4-L2 using parts from a '02 XLT Ranger and a '97 Explorer. My Bro-n-law brought up his '01 sport Explorer to work on at the same time.

One of the first thing we noticed is that the two Explorers have a "air box" (air/oil separator) under the intake that the PVC goes into, (all of the Rangers I'v looked at don't have this, it goes into a hole in the top of the block that on Rangers motors a "freeze plug" is blocking the hole) and the Explorer alum valve covers don't have a place for a PVC like the plastic Ranger valve covers do.
We ended up putting the 02 ranger long block in the 01 Explorer with the Ranger valve covers for the PVC, it's not finished yet but I don't think there'll be a problem.

As for other differences, it seems that the '03 Rangers didn't have an EGR (?) but had the place for one, just blocked off.

Maybe someone with more experience than me can fill in some details.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals