• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Differences between 4.0 SOHC long blocks

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok, it looks like I'm on the hunt for an engine for my 2011 4.0 sohc. I think I know the answer to this question but, what are the differences between the 4.0 sohc long blocks in the Ranger, Explorer, and Mustang among all years. I do know my 03' has spray rails above the cam and the 11' does not. I don't think this makes any difference as far as function. Basically what I'm asking is will a Explorer or Mustang engine work in a Ranger? I'm trying to expand my options for a used engine.

On car -part and eBay I'm finding ranger engines with 100k to 150k going for $2000-$2500. Shipping is going to run at least a couple of hundred, then tax I'm sure. So basically about $3k when I'm done. And no real warranty. I'm finding motorcraft remans for $3900. I would actually have a real warranty with the reman and it's basically new. This sounds like a better deal to me. I just don't know if I can even get one. These used engine prices seem outrageous for 100k + mile engines. I would feel better at $1500 or less.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Wow!! That crazy prices. You need a u pull it junkyard

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
It's because they are hard to get with low miles. Supply and demand. I just had to put a transmission in my 2007 and it cost me $2,100 for a 2005 with 54k miles. If it were me, I would go with a remanufactured because you at least get a warranty.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
car-part in Denver area shows 115k for $1750 and 159k for $1820, so that's a little better. But if I were to put in a used one I would want to replace the timing chains & cassettes so that is going to add another $500 at least.

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I took a gamble. I bought a 4wd 2008 Explorer with a bad transmission that seems to run good. It looks like everything will transfer over to the long block. It's crazy you can buy an entire vehicle way cheaper than just an engine. Hopefully I can recoup some of the investment in scrap value of everything left over.

Anyone need explorer parts? Cheap. You just need to come pull it yourself. It's going to the crusher in late January.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Smoothe Moove Dude! :) I was just thinking as I read the posts that I had done well buying the Explorer I'll be using for an engine, even though the transmission pump went bad. And I've already had a very lengthy test drive ;) Good luck with it man

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The ranger is back on the road again. The explorer long block is a direct fit. A lot of the bolt on ancillaries are different, but the long block is the same. I transfered everything from the ranger to the explorer engine including the oil filter housing.

I found 2 more explores closer and cheaper to me than the one I purchased. They also had bad transmissions and somewhat low mileage. One just over 100k. The transmissions in the explorers must me junk. This is a good source for engines.

Kira

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
The transmissions in the explorers must me junk. This is a good source for engines.
Obviously you don't have a lot of data (2 more Explorers) but I'd love to know if there is any trannie failure data driven by geography (heat) or application (Explorers instead of Rangers). Glad my Ranger has an external trannie cooler.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My 96 Explorer blew the front seal while I was headed north @ 65 or 70.
All I recall of as it happened was looking in the side mirror and seeing a thick white smoke screen going plum out of sight on a flat highway in open daylight. Never knew how far back I had traffic totally disabled.
I drove it on in, stopping ever mile or 2 to let it cool (and stop glowing) and it's been waiting for me to swap engines with the Ranger ever since

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals