• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Difference between mustang 2.3 and ranger 2.3l?

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
Are there any differences between a 1993 Ranger 2.3l and a 1993 Mustang 2.3l?
I know the belt and accessories are different, but are the heads or the cam different?

I already swapped the Mustang motor into my truck, it runs great. I was just curious is Ford did anything different with the cam or head porting because one motor was for a car and one was for a truck...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, even though the accessories are different in some cases, they usually use the same bolt holes in the block...and you can actually swap in some of the accessories and use them in some cases...like the alternator bracket on the mustang can be used on the Ranger (driver side) but the alternator is actually upside down...

But, anyway, good to hear the mustang engine is running good...two of my last head replacements were from Mustang 2.3 and they worked good on the Ranger block.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
I figured it was the same in general..... I might swap on my head off my old engine, I had it shaved and ported a while back.

Last edited:

falcon61

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm sitting on high rev

8 8 stang. Oval port. mm. Is did conversion possible? I'll post as progress continues

Sent from my RCT6773W22 using Tapatalk

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I figured it was the same in general..... I might swap on my head off my old engine, I had it shaved and ported a while back.
Depending on the head and intake, there are some slight differences over the gen I, Gen II and Gen III 2.3/2.5...I've never really checked it past 1991 where my Mustang heads came from and I was running a 1978 Mustang II intake on those without a problem...but from what I've read over the years...anything newer might require a bit of checking to make sure the holes are all there and line up with what you have...just putting the gasket for the intake on the head should tell you most what you need to know.

Nothing like finding out after a swap that some things need slight modifications...lol

My current engine is a 98 2.5 long block with a 96 2.3 intake and exhaust...so those things all line up nicely in that series of generations...

falconman13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I know this thread is old, but I ran into something today that I cant seem to find any info on, So,

A 1992 Mustang 8 plug head , won't work on a 96 Ranger 2.3, here is why

The 92 Mustang D Port head has a water passage between the 2-3 cyls, the intake on the ranger has no provision for this so there is no way to block this off.
You can use the Mustang Intake system to block it off, but the egr valves are different and the orientation is different
The Mustang egr tube and assembly wont fit the ranger header because the tube for the 92 wont thread onto the ranger beader boss

So, it looks like you can swap the exhaust manifold from the mustang onto the ranger block, and then use the all the mustang intake and egr stuff, and still you would need to modify the exhaust to fit the mustang manifold

So, a direct bolt on, its not

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
A 1992 Mustang 8 plug head , won't work on a 05 Ranger 2.3, here is why
They’re completely different motors.
One is a Lima block, the other is a duratec block.

falconman13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, I mean a 96 not 06 was a typo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals