• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Diesel engine swap candidates.

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
With the exception of the 4BT and the Ford Ranger OEM diesel engines, what are the other diesel candidates out there? Is a small CAT diesel in a Ranger unheard of? VW engines?

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
If you look in the engine swap subforum you'll find a few different diesel engine swaps. I've seen 4bt, vw tdi, Mercedes OM617, GM 6.5, 6.0 PSD, and a few others. Non automotive engines I've seen include Cummins b3.3t, a couple Kubota engines, Deutz (not all of them have been in Rangers but similar size vehicles).

I've never seen a Cat swap in a Ranger but I surely have never looked for or been interested in a Cat engine so that's not to say it hasn't been done or isn't possible.

Basically, many small diesel engines can be made to fit if you have one available to you and have a little dedication to the project and imagination to make it work.

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you look in the engine swap subforum you'll find a few different diesel engine swaps. I've seen 4bt, vw tdi, Mercedes OM617, GM 6.5, 6.0 PSD, and a few others. Non automotive engines I've seen include Cummins b3.3t, a couple Kubota engines, Deutz (not all of them have been in Rangers but similar size vehicles).

I've never seen a Cat swap in a Ranger but I surely have never looked for or been interested in a Cat engine so that's not to say it hasn't been done or isn't possible.

Basically, many small diesel engines can be made to fit if you have one available to you and have a little dedication to the project and imagination to make it work.
I really don't have my heart set on any diesel, but I do run into cheap small diesels from time to time. Being I have OBD I and a manual transmission I think that helps doing a swap.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Any examples of cheap diesels you've come across?

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

A Deutz in a Ranger really!? was it an air cooled like a F4L912? God I've worked on, rebuilt and made more gensets and pumpsets with 912's and 413's than I can count.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Eww a Deutz? :fie:

There are a bunch of little diesels in tractors, I spied a nice little Mitsubishi that seemed "right sized" for a RBV in a Montana tractor awhile ago.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
A Deutz in a Ranger really!? was it an air cooled like a F4L912? God I've worked on, rebuilt and made more gensets and pumpsets with 912's and 413's than I can count.
No, sorry, the Deutz that I saw (on the internet) wasn't in a Ranger.

tempforce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
have you considered a ford power stroke 2.5 or 2.8 diesel from a south american ranger or range rover. or a volkswagon tdi ????

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Any examples of cheap diesels you've come across?
Well...I do have 3 cyl IDI diesel laying around with a blown head gasket. Out of a lawn mower, I've looked for a spec tag and can't find any. It's probably only 20 hp - 30 hp max I would guess.

have you considered a ford power stroke 2.5 or 2.8 diesel from a south american ranger or range rover. or a volkswagon tdi ????
I haven't really considered anything. I'm just trying to find out what would be a good match for my truck, mainly my transmission.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
I would consider a 20-30 hp engine to be too low in power to be effective in a ranger. However, I do think you could get away with something in the 75+hp range due to diesels higher torque curves and you'd be reaching the peak rpm (and peak hp) more often than a gasser.

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would consider a 20-30 hp engine to be too low in power to be effective in a ranger. However, I do think you could get away with something in the 75+hp range due to diesels higher torque curves and you'd be reaching the peak rpm (and peak hp) more often than a gasser.
Right. If I would some how end up with a under powered engine, re-gearing would be a option. It doesn't spend time on the interstate.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Sorry, I meant lower torque curves, as in the diesels make more torque at lower rpm.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
My friends uncle has a cat diesel in an s10, so its not unheard of.

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My friends uncle has a cat diesel in an s10, so its not unheard of.
Which engine?

Cat has a huge selection of smaller engines under 100 horsepower. I'll admit I am a Cat lover.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals