• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Diesel Bed Poll

Which Bed

• Flat Bed

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Utility Box

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
Hey guys i need some opinions , i am currently about to begin a refresh of my 97 F-350 (the Tow Rig) and have a little issue , the issue i am having is on what bed to put on it , i cannot run a regular box because the truck is a Cab & Chassis with an altered wheel base , however i currently have a utility box and am debating between keeping that or going with a flatbed. Here is the main issue i am having with the switch , if i go to the flatbed i have to cut 14 inches off the frame and that is where the box mounts so i can never go back to the utility box , so here are my thoughts on each

1. Utility Box - Pro: Lots of storage space to make truck the ultimate trail support vehicle. Cons: Large rear area makes parking hard , not pleasant to look at , needs 2 new doors and all new handles , not exactly aerodynamic

2. Flatbed - Pros: Better Looking , less exposed space , shorter and easier to navigate. Con - not as much storage space

so , there is all the info , i am on the fence about this and just would like some input on the subject , thanks for weighing in

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones

current bed on the truck

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
I think the flatbed. You could always mount a few boxes to it and make them removable for extra space.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I know what I would do but the question is.... what will you be doing with this truck? Will a flatbed with a toolbox up front be enough storage? Do you plan on towing? If so, will it be a bumper-tow or 5th wheel? Do you plan on hauling anything like 4 wheelers and sleds in the back? Off roading, the higher "flatbed" will be better than a heavy box.

Also, do you plan on building a steel or aluminum flatbed or would you be willing to frame it out with steel and use lumber (2x12s) for the floor. If you can fab up your own flatbed you can use the extra 14" of frame. No sense on cutting it off if you want it.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
I know what I would do but the question is.... what will you be doing with this truck? Will a flatbed with a toolbox up front be enough storage? Do you plan on towing? If so, will it be a bumper-tow or 5th wheel? Do you plan on hauling anything like 4 wheelers and sleds in the back? Off roading, the higher "flatbed" will be better than a heavy box.

Also, do you plan on building a steel or aluminum flatbed or would you be willing to frame it out with steel and use lumber (2x12s) for the floor. If you can fab up your own flatbed you can use the extra 14" of frame. No sense on cutting it off if you want it.
To answer you questions in some kind of order

1. Truck is going to be used to tow my mud truck from place to place and carry the tools/parts for on site fixes , and all the necessary chains/binders

2. Most likely not enough space

3. yes

4. bumper tow and occasional gooseneck

5. have a smaller trailer to haul those

6. truck will not go off road

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
It sounds like you'll be better off fixing up the utility box.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
I helped a friend put an oak bed on his F-350, and we mounted utility boxes down each side of it. Very functional and heavy duty. Weighed the truck down quite a bit, too. We used oak because he made a flatbed for his Toyota but it was too light, truck spun around easy.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Box. If you're using it for tow rig, tool storage, general carry-all, etc the box would be better.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'm partial to the service box but depending on your fab skill you could cut it just above the filler caps/below the middle compartment and build it into a lowpro service box and still tow a gooseneck just fine and have the storage.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
I'm partial to the service box but depending on your fab skill you could cut it just above the filler caps/below the middle compartment and build it into a lowpro service box and still tow a gooseneck just fine and have the storage.
the only gooseneck i plan to tow is the one we use at the farm to haul hay , and i have already done the testing and they trailer clears the top corner of the bed by 2 inches in a tight turn

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
what u could do is use the flat bed and build a false floor on top or it using 2x4 and ply wood and then say put a sheet of aluminum over it to protect from wear and tear and u could use the space below for storage of ropes and tow gear but if ur looking fo cheapest what u couls do is remodify the service box so its not as wide nut thats only if u have a welder and a sawzall

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
what u could do is use the flat bed and build a false floor on top or it using 2x4 and ply wood and then say put a sheet of aluminum over it to protect from wear and tear and u could use the space below for storage of ropes and tow gear but if ur looking fo cheapest what u couls do is remodify the service box so its not as wide nut thats only if u have a welder and a sawzall
i cannot change the width of the box , the truck is a dually and in order to change the width of the box i would have to swap in a SRW rear axle and SRW front hubs , at that point i might as well move my axle 4 inches forward and put a regular bed on it

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After being around them at work I do think a utility box would be darn handy to have. So is a liftgate, they can spoil a guy really quick.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i have already done the testing and they trailer clears the top corner of the bed by 2 inches in a tight turn
On level ground... 2" clearance on a gooseneck spells disaster at the slightest off camber. :sad:

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
On level ground... 2" clearance on a gooseneck spells disaster at the slightest off camber. :sad:
except for the fact i did that testing on the 20 degree incline coming outta the field where we do the hay :D :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals