• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Diesel anyone?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Anything will fit with enough time, money, and sawzall blades... My point is easiness. You could theoretically weld a Cat 3508 diesel in the bed of a Ranger with all the turbos and smokestacks you want if you're either a balls to the wall fab shop or loaded rich. I think for me it'd be a PITA to get a 606 in there without the whole front clip pulled because it's longer than OP's engine bay. I guess you could lift it into place from under the truck, or drop the body down over it. You can get a couple small Honda radiators and a nice big German oil cooler mounted in front of the frame to keep that diesel cool. Saw this setup on a Ranger with a gas 300-6 out of an F250.... Hmm, now that's a tempting one for me to do.... :drool:

For an "easy" or at least less effort/cost swap, smaller motors like the 4 & 5 cyls are the way to go. He'll also want to convert to an 8.8 or 9" rear end to take the 606 torque but he could get away with the stock rear on a smaller engine.

doing a non platform swap....the investment in time to make the core and inners removable is priceless. just par for the course.

easiness? thats a bit subjective. the 606 will go into a ranger with no sawzall blades. definitely easier then the pig i have in my truck...and that was cake. if you can read a tape measure...its readily apparent.

i studied them a bit because they are lighter then a 302 and there is a way to mechanically inject them and make ok power...better then factory anyway and increase economy...

to say it is easier to do a tdi over a 606 is not something i could say.

there is a similar engine general engine products developed i have been trying to snag...it has some serious potential. but the cost outs and availability is not there yet.

i will wait a bit more on the new 1/2 ton gm inline 6 results... before making any changes to my current powertrain. it is overly complicated so time will have to test it.

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
The half-ton Dodge motor is gonna be the cheapest of the three. Those VM Motori V6s have been out for a few years and have been sold in several other cars worldwide. Parts are everywhere and you can get a running core with computer for just a couple grand from the insurance lots. You'll be fighting CANbus though.

On easy removability, I once worked the parts counter at a Ford dealership. Watched a few nuked Triton V10 motors get yanked out of fullsize service trucks, to do that you either need to remove the front clip or lift the body off the truck or you'll never get it out.

This pic is stolen from another forum - here we see the native Caltrans truck in for some belly rubs. It could be argued that Ford did take the time to make the innards (surgically) removable. You're right, it's easy for the guys that do it everyday, but for me.... :no2:

I suppose the dedicated swapper could jack up their cab and get a 606 in if so inclined?

And a TDI is not for me either. I don't want to try to graft that VW computer with PATS into my Ranger. To make it a mechanical motor wouldn't give you very much power vs. the Merc oil burners.

curtis73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Revisiting....
Actually, the truck already has an 8.8 out back. I don't mind giving it all the torques.

curtis73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so your saying a 606 wont fit in a ranger?
I'm saying it will be tight to say the least. The 4.0L in there is about 25" long and the OM606 is 34". That means I need to find 10" somewhere.

I'm going from an engine that is 3 cylinders long to an engine that is 6 cylinders long. By my initial measurements, moving the radiator a LOT will be in the cards.

curtis73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i studied them a bit because they are lighter then a 302 and there is a way to mechanically inject them and make ok power...better then factory anyway and increase economy...
Common internet stuff says that 500-600 hp from a 606 is not only pretty easy, but stock internals can handle it all day. I did talk to a guy who is putting 614 hp to the wheels on a stock 250k longblock and so far (knock on wood) it hasn't exploded.

I would be more interested in 250-300hp. I don't want black clouds. I want gobs of torque and easy cold starts.

curtis73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We get the VM Motori 2.5 here, but never with a Ford bolt pattern. They are relatively common in Jeeps with a Mercedes pattern

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Detroit Diesel 453t

With the twin stick

Which I want really bad.

Or

Detroit Diesel 4 71

But 4bt is the best option.

Or maybe a volvo diesel.

Series 70 2.4L

Last edited:

curtis73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I go medium duty diesel, I would consider a newer NPR, NQR, or UD. That older stuff rattles your teeth out and announces "tiny wiener" from three blocks away :ROFLMAO:

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If I go medium duty diesel, I would consider a newer NPR, NQR, or UD. That older stuff rattles your teeth out and announces "tiny wiener" from three blocks away :ROFLMAO:
Funny how those rattles your teeth out and announces tiny wiener from 3 blocks away engines have lasted and take severe beatings for years.

curtis73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Certainly not disagreeing, but any diesel I put in this truck will far outlast the truck. It's one of the reasons I want an OM606... 500k reliability and silky smooth operation.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You can quite down an old diesel and eliminate most vibrations with sound damping and very heavy rubber bushing

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Start video at 1 Minute 30 seconds its sound so good until he jams the rag in lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals